When the second baby is in a huge rush

My mum always told me stories of how my brother, who’s 18 months younger than me, started walking when he was 8 months old. Apparently, he would watch me and wanted to follow very quickly. I always thought she was exaggerating. Until now.
This week Baby E has tried to stand up whilst playing in his new toy car. He’s just about hit the 8 month mark and seems to be in a huge rush. Not content with his new found crawling skills, he’s now trying to stand up at every given opportunity and, at the moment, mostly manages to lean up firmly on his knees. I now think he may be walking within the next couple of months and all of a sudden I don’t feel ready.

Little Z didn’t walk until he was 13 months old and, back then, it was me that was in a hurry to reach this huge milestone. It would look so cute, a little baby learning to toddle with a huge smile plastered across his face, landing on their nappy bums. Then getting up and trying again until they became more and more confident in their abilities. What you don’t anticipate is that they turn into little hurricanes that destroy everything at shin level.
This time I’m in no rush at all. It feels way too soon and like my little baby is trying to catch up to his big brother at the speed of light. The crawling stage is tiring but so lovely to watch. All the new and wide eyed exploring and the unique way in which every baby learns to move about. In the case of Baby E I think we may speed through the stages straight to toddling. Things are already being moved higher and higher in anticipation of the next big stage. When he’ll be officially known as a toddler. I am very tempted to hide any toys with a bit of height away to stave off the attempts to stand at least for a little bit. So that he (and I!) can enjoy the crawling stage just a little bit longer.

1. Tim May 22, 2016 / 12:12 am

Younger siblings always appear to be in such a hurry to emulate their bigger brothers/sisters. Kara is just the same – she may only be 4, but with 8 and 6 year old brothers she just watches them and believes she can do anything they can. She’s often right!

2. tracey at Mummyshire May 22, 2016 / 12:34 am

Oh yes, I totally agree. In my experience younger siblings just want to replicate their older role models. My “baby” was properly walking at 11 months just so he could keep up with his sister *too young!* but it did have it’s advantages when it came to potty training!
    tracey at Mummyshire recently posted…Sunday Photo : 22 May 2015My Profile

3. Farmerswifeandmummy May 22, 2016 / 6:56 am

Oh no!! It goes far too quickly. Get him to sit down πŸ™‚
    8 months is very impressive though. It all seems faster second time around.
    He is such a cutie x

4. Sarah MumofThree World May 22, 2016 / 7:19 am

Bless him! He looks so cheeky and grown up in his little car. Hope he can keep crawling for another couple of months at least yet.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 22.5.16My Profile

5. Sarah Woid May 22, 2016 / 7:35 am

Gorgeous smile! So true about the difference between 1 and 2, and who is in the most hurry – am sure you will enjoy alk the stages, however quickly they flash by!

6. Sarah @ Mum & Mor May 22, 2016 / 8:50 am

Adorable photo. Your son looks so proud to be in his car and has such a lovely smile. #MySundayPhoto

7. Su {Ethan & Evelyn} May 22, 2016 / 11:31 am

Aww… reminiscing ours. Evelyn was also copying everything that Ethan was doing too. She is such a quick learn even without me prompting as I am trying to keep Ethan occupied. Enjoy the moment as they say. πŸ™‚ #MySundayPhoto
    Su {Ethan & Evelyn} recently posted…Beautiful Bluebells and My Birthday GirlMy Profile

8. Verily Victoria Vocalises May 22, 2016 / 12:20 pm

It really sounds like he has his big brother setting an example for him. No wonder he wants to catch up – it would mean more playtime πŸ™‚

9. Katie @mummydaddyme May 22, 2016 / 2:24 pm

These second babies are definitely on a mission to grow up quicker I think. He is so gorgeous, look at those big eyes and cheeky smile. Lets hope he doesnt walk *too* soon. xx

10. Karen May 22, 2016 / 4:17 pm

Matthew was the same, he was keen to keep up with his sister and definitely did things a bit earlier.
    He’s such a cutie though, that smile!!

11. Californian Mum in London May 22, 2016 / 6:40 pm

Those second babies are always in a hurry to catch up. My daughter didn’t walk until she was 12 months, and then it was very delicate. My son was 11 months and just started running everywhere. πŸ™‚
    Californian Mum in London recently posted…My Little GardenerMy Profile

12. Carie May 22, 2016 / 6:50 pm

My three have all been at roughly similar times but Pip was the latest, I strongly suspect because he was in no hurry to have to do anything for himself with two adoring big sisters prepared to fetch and carry. Now of course there’s no stopping him – his middle name should have been Chaos!!
    Carie recently posted…β€œOh yes! Jamie Vardy!!”My Profile

13. Lisa@intotheglade May 22, 2016 / 6:52 pm

My eldest completely missed out the crawling stage and walked at 9 months, I took it completely for granted because the youngest had hip problems and didn’t walk until 19 months. She missed out the crawling strange too, instead getting around by shuffling on her bottom because she spent a lot of time with her legs in plaster. It made us realise how lucky we had been with the eldest.

Oh my word Baby Z is looking so grown up in that car, he is so cute with a wonderful smile xx
    Lisa@intotheglade recently posted…My Sunday Photo!My Profile

14. LauraCYMFT May 22, 2016 / 8:49 pm

Oh it definitely sounds like he’ll be on the move very soon! Someone I know has 5 kids and I remember seeing her 4th at 9 months old, walking in to the nursery to get his big brother! He was just ready to go after watching the older ones and I think her fifth was the same.
    LauraCYMFT recently posted…366 Project 2016 136 – 142My Profile

15. Merlinda Little (Glimmer of Hope) May 23, 2016 / 1:05 pm

I am first born and my sister always hit milestones way faster as she is copying me! I guess its always nice to have a model.

I think Little E will run soon and you need to be ready of his ever moving cuteness! #mysundayphoto
    Merlinda Little (Glimmer of Hope) recently posted…Photo Walk With My SonMy Profile

16. The Reading Residence May 23, 2016 / 6:35 pm

Yes! I so wanted my son to stay still and slow down, yet I’d encouraged my daughter to move! And you know that once they’re off, there’s just no stopping them! x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Revision Tips & IdeasMy Profile

17. Not A Frumpy Mum May 23, 2016 / 9:42 pm

I’ve heard this about second babies too, O was so lazy and never in a rush to do anything (he didn’t walk until 20 months!), it’ll be a complete shock to the system for us. Gorgeous pic Tas xx
    Not A Frumpy Mum recently posted…The Forever Home Tour – The NurseryMy Profile

18. Susan Mann May 23, 2016 / 10:08 pm

Aww look at his wee face. He is just adorable. My second boy was the same, he was desperate to be on the move like his big brother. I am sure he pretty much came out crawling. They just want to get into the bits of pieces their older siblings are doing. Much more fun than just watching x
    Susan Mann recently posted…Fun On A Swing – Weekly Photo Week 21My Profile

19. natalie May 24, 2016 / 11:25 am

Oh they grow so fast sometimes us Mummies aren’t ready!! My second child has done everything so much faster than my first and just seems so much older that Meme was at her age. Gorgeous picture he looks so grown up! (sorry I know you wont want to hear that!)

20. Helena May 24, 2016 / 11:11 pm

Oh my goodness can I relate to what you are going through. My daughter is 15 months and as soon as I’ve tidied up a place it is a mess again. #OrdinaryMoments

21. Plutonium Sox May 25, 2016 / 2:12 pm

Oh I totally know what you mean, I’ve been so much more laid back about milestones with my second. But it turned out she was also pretty laid back, she didn’t walk until she was about 16 months. It looks like you’re going to have your hands full soon πŸ˜‰
    Plutonium Sox recently posted…Konfidence: Review & CompetitionMy Profile

22. Jane Allen May 29, 2016 / 2:21 pm

I can totally relate to your experience. My first was slow to walk but my second was in such a hurry. You just have to get used to the differences. They won’t all be the same. It might be stressful when he starts moving on his own, as you might have to keep an eye on him, but I’d say just enjoy the ride. It comes once in the lifetime of a child. So, make the best of it. Don’t stress yourself about it. These children would soon be gone from home. Time does fly, so, enjoy it while it lasts.
    Jane Allen recently posted…What is the Best Recliner for Newborn?My Profile

23. Hayley @hayleyfromhome June 2, 2016 / 10:55 am

I felt just the same with the twins! Lucas was super quick walking but pretty laid back with everything else – the twins seem to be so much older than they are and I do think it’s because they watch him and want to do everything. I think when they first start getting mobile it’s a shock to the system but then it just becomes fun, the more he does the more Z will get involved too and that will be lovely xx
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Father’s Day Gift Ideas Under £15My Profile

24. Becky Cowley June 8, 2016 / 3:09 pm

If only they could stay smaller a little longer! Sam (although he didn’t walk til 14 ish months) is always trying to copy his big sister, he try’s to join in playing and thinks he’s able to do everything she does. He even has a tantrum when she goes out to play and he’s no allowed ☺️