5 year olds and birthday cakes

It’s been back to school this week and Little Z has skipped happily back to school in the sunshine. It has been a glorious week for the most part with some thunderstorms chucked in. Weirdly, we had very little rain until the end of the week and so it’s been SO humid. It’s the one or two days of the year where I wish I had air conditioning in the house so that I could glue myself to it.

I somehow pulled some muscles in my back and kept finding it hard to breathe. Every medical place I rang wanted to send an ambulance and after repeatedly insisting I wasn’t having a heart attack I popped along to urgent care. The NHS is a wonderful thing and the lovely doctors did some scans to rule out any chest infection and confirmed I have indeed done something to my back which was affecting my breathing. Thankfully, a lot of rest this week has sorted most of it out although I still need to be very careful with it.

Little Z has been learning all about the Queens birthday and mistakenly thinks she’s 19 and 90. I started to correct him but then let him believe her Majesty is still a young un. He still thinks she’s really old though, and couldn’t understand why his school were celebrating her birthday with cheese sandwiches and sausage rolls but had not one birthday cake. He has a point.

She's 19?

It’s also Mr Not my year offs birthday today and I had bought a lovely cake a few days in advance with the intention of hiding it until the big day and all of us yelling “surprise” on his birthday eve. Little Z was extremely excited to be let in on the big secret and couldn’t stop touching it. In fact, he was so excited that about 30 seconds of the Other Half coming home that very day, he yelled “Daddy, come and look at your surprise cake!”. So we all enjoyed birthday cake a couple of days early and it was delicious.

Baby E had a valiant attempt at smashing his fist straight into it. Thankfully, he failed but did manage to swipe some from his brothers plate and shove it straight into his mouth at lightning speed. I get the feeling a lot of food will be swiped from Little Zs
plate in time to come.

TheBoyandMe's 366 Linky

1. Nikki Thomas June 11, 2016 / 7:18 pm

Aw I love the cake and how funny. Five year olds aren’t great at keeping secrets, in fact children generally aren’t good at keeping secrets. I love the way 19 is old for little children, in A’s eyes I am practically prehistoric! I hope your back is feeling better soon xx
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Tips for coping with ArthritisMy Profile

2. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) June 12, 2016 / 12:09 am

Hope that your back is better soon and so glad to hear that it was nothing more serious. Love that photo of Little Z – I can imagine that it must be very confusing not to have a birthday cake for the Queen but that one for your other half is fabulous!
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo – 12/06/16My Profile

3. Tim June 12, 2016 / 12:31 am

Love the cake! Z thinking the Queen is 19 is just hilarious.

4. Sarah MumofThree World June 12, 2016 / 7:27 am

What a lovely cake! I love the way small children like to be in on secrets, but can’t keep them secret at all! Also love the fact that the queen is very old at 19 🙂
    It’s my husband’s birthday today! His cake is nowhere near as good as that one.

5. Anne June 12, 2016 / 9:46 am

Such a lovely cake, I hope Mr Not My Year Off managed to enjoy some too 🙂 Sorry to hear about your back, I hope it heals soon.

6. Erica Price June 12, 2016 / 9:52 am

The breathing thing sounded a bit worrying – hoping your back is better soon. It’s a beautiful birthday cake – hope your husband had a nice day. Is there any cake left after starting it early?
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 23 of 2016My Profile

7. Kara Guppy June 12, 2016 / 9:54 am

That has to be the best birthday cake ever – Happy Birthday. Hope your back is feeling better x

8. Sarah Christie June 12, 2016 / 10:06 am

Ha ha that was close, babies are so inquisitive aren’t they thank goodness you saved the cake, poor you it must be so painful. And grrr too the rain it was lovely at the beginning of the week I so hope it returns soon x

9. Karen June 12, 2016 / 6:39 pm

Love that he thinks the Queen is so young!
    The cake looks great! Hope everyone had a good birthday week!
    Karen recently posted…My Sunday Photo My Profile

10. Brooke Neal June 12, 2016 / 6:46 pm

Thank you for visiting my blog! The flower is the blossom of a Conker Tree. Darling birthday cake.

11. Katie @mummydaddyme June 12, 2016 / 7:25 pm

Thats a lovely cake, I hope your husband had a lovely birthday. And I am sorry to hear about your back, that must have been so painful. Hope it is better soon. xx

12. BloggerMummyLauren June 12, 2016 / 10:10 pm

Love the cake! Hope your husband had a great birthday. Funny that your son thought the queen was 19, I’m sure she wishes that were true!
    BloggerMummyLauren recently posted…My Sunday Photo 12/06/16My Profile

13. Hayley @hayleyfromhome June 13, 2016 / 8:36 pm

Such a cute cake…there must always be cake in birthdays, Z is quite right! Glad you are feeling better with your back and it wasn’t too serious, nothing worse when you have little ones to look after though and you aren’t feeling well! Definitely rest up xx
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…UnexpectedMy Profile

14. Jenny Paulin June 13, 2016 / 10:06 pm

Wee Z is correct of course, no birthday is complete without a birthday cake!
    I love the cake for your hubby – having a photo of the boys on the front is so sweet and unique. I hope he had a wonderful day xx
    Jenny Paulin recently posted…Project 366, 2016. Week 23My Profile

15. Merlinda Little (Glimmer of Hope) June 14, 2016 / 4:53 pm

I remember my son also mistaking the Queen’s age to be 19! Kids are so funny and his expression in the photo is just the cutest.

Get well soon to your back! #mysundayphoto
    Merlinda Little (Glimmer of Hope) recently posted…Mini Beast In The WoodsMy Profile