BREXIT – 8 Reasons why we shouldn’t leave the EU

1. Leaving the EU won’t “solve our immigration problem”.

More migrants come to the UK from outside the EU than they do from inside the EU. The government has had a number of years to control the borders when it comes to non EU migrants. Some in favour of BREXIT keep saying we need to take control of our borders but if the government isn’t able to clamp down on the numbers coming from outside the EU, what makes them think they will have success with the EU ones?

Where are migrants flocking from to Britain

This is from 2015 and taken from this article. You can read more about that here.

Here’s another view. You can see that migrants from the EU form about a 3rd of the total. Leaving the EU will transfer camps like Calais to Dover. That’s a huge cost in itself.

Migration to Britain

2. We actually need immigrants. And their money.
One of the reasons that the government hasn’t cracked down on migration is because they bring in a LOT of money. Migrants from the EU alone have contributed £4.96bn to the economy which is more than they have taken out. There has been criticism that our public services are suffering. However, the budgets on investing into our public services are determined by our government, not the EU. The Brexit campain keeps focusing on the pressures on our schools, surgeries and hospitals. All the cuts to those budgets have come year on year as part of our austerity and recession programmes. It is not something dictated to us by the EU.

3. If we leave the EU, we will STILL have to pay a fee to the EU to use the single market.
A lot of people keep saying “If we leave the EU, we will turn into Norway”. Norway isn’t part of the EU but they have to pay a substantial fee to the EU to make use of some of the trade routes that are controlled by the EU. The amounts are similar to what Britain currently pays. They basically end up paying, without much say. Us leaving the EU will put us in a very similar situation.

4. The money we save by leaving the EU has not been promised to the NHS.
Brexit campaign leaders keep using this as a huge golden carrot. There is even an advert showing a poorly old lady waiting in a huge waiting room full of pesky foreigners. Of course the money could be directed to the NHS but no-one can promise this. The people who keep saying this include Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Nigel Farage. None of these people are in charge of our country. It is all just theory. Given that we’d still have to pay the EU a fee, a la Norway, there isn’t actually any money to be saved.

5. 3 million jobs will be at risk
There are currently 3 million jobs attached to the EU trade that will be at risk if we leave the EU. There are 0 plans to combat this currently. Some Brexiters think it is a small price to pay for our long term gain but there are no long term gains documented either. There has not been one debate or speech outlining what the plans are for those that are at risk.

6. Protection laws may be subject to change.
There are lot of laws that govern Britain that come from the EU. One of the biggest include Health and Safety directives within the workplace. The government has in the past said how it would prefer to make it’s own laws in this are. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing but we don’t currently know what that would include, what kind of limits it would impose on our working hours and what, if any, advantages / disadvantages we’d see from it.

7. There is NO Brexit plan
If the majority do vote in favour of Brexit then it will take up to two years before it take effect. There is currently NO Brexit plan. At all. Hundreds of areas need to have very detailed handover and transitions and it would require a bit of an army of good people to do it. There is no phased transition. It will literally be in or out. If you picture how long it is taking for the Tories to put in place their way of working from what Labour did then you’ll know we’re now in Year 5 and there is still a massive way to go. There is NO way we will do it in 2 years flat.

8. This is is going to affect our future generations.
This is not your bog standard general election type of vote. This is potentially a huge change for all of and generations to come. There are countries such as Switzerland that are not part of the EU but have negotiated for over 8 years to come to an agreement with what they can and can’t get from the EU. Being part of the EU has being an integral part of our society and lives and they are not just a body that sits taking money from us bully boy style. Granted, there are massive improvements that need to be made and the leaders that be need to sit down, like Margaret Thatcher did (where she successfully negotiated a huge rebate for us) and sort of the issues that need sorting. Threatening to just leave and go at it alone won’t help anyone in the long term.

Sources and References

1. Nikki Thomas June 12, 2016 / 8:18 pm

Really interesting and I must admit that I have huge worries about leaving the EU when you look at what we have gained over the years as a part of it. I really hope that people come to their senses.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Treading on eggshellsMy Profile

2. Sarah MumofThree World June 13, 2016 / 9:53 am

You are a genius! Such good arguments here. I knew about some of these points, but not all of them. I haven’t for one second considered voting to leave. I don’t see that there are any advantages at all and you’ve just proved to me why!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Wychwood Festival 2016My Profile

3. Emma T June 13, 2016 / 10:13 am

I think if there was a guarantee of some degree of being able to pick and choose more of the annoying EU laws – like criminals not being able to shout human rights (ban the suing culture would save a bit of money probably), and have economic migrants needing to have jobs via some kind of point structure rather than the concern of mass influx, then I think a lot more people would be more confident in staying.

I hate a lot of what the EU red tape means, but there’s also a lot of positive, and obviously the lack of plans for exiting/risks to the economy/pound.

I’m hoping that by staying we’d shake up the other countries into questionning more about the laws and enforcement because at the moment it feels like everything’s being pushing into doing everything with no say. That’s what I dislike, and think countries should be able to do more for themselves instead of having to take the rules from centrally.

Maybe the economic issue of needing migrants for low paid jobs could be solved by turfing out the Brits who could work but refuse to, by sending them to an uninhabited island somewhere unless they take on the jobs. Obviously not realistic but would maybe buck up their ideas given they’re probably the ones saying there’s no jobs.
    Emma T recently posted…School Days – new school shoes and nicknamesMy Profile

4. Hayley @hayleyfromhome June 13, 2016 / 8:42 pm

Great post, I think so many important things aren’t being said and you’ve put them across really well. I hope we stay in, I just don’t believe our problems will be solved by running away from it all
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…UnexpectedMy Profile

5. Erica Price June 14, 2016 / 1:47 pm

You know I’m not big into politics, but I think you should do more political posts because you are very good at it. There are so many arguments for saying and you put them together very well. I am for remaining (it was very instinctive for me), but if I was undecided I would want to read something like this for both sides, but I haven’t seen much rational argument from the Brexit side, so I think I might struggle.
    Erica Price recently posted…Amazon Prime Now To The RescueMy Profile

6. Liska @NewMumOnline June 14, 2016 / 2:15 pm

I am definitely a Br-exiter. I am intrigued to know where this comes from: “Leaving the EU will transfer camps like Calais to Dover. That’s a huge cost in itself”. The French President has confirmed he would not do this. Why would those people in the camp suddenly belong to us. Legal responsibility for them lies with their first safe haven which is surely France (or sometimes countries they have travelled through beforehand). Why would we suddenly on exiting, be responsible for them? There is a lot of scaremongering going on which is unfounded, some of it coming from Cameron and his team. I don’t mind arguments in favour of either side when they are based on sound facts.
    Liska xx

7. Liska @NewMumOnline June 15, 2016 / 11:53 am

Well how spooky that the same paper contradicts itself on the same day. That’s nuts. Seems the powers that be are determined to make this referendum confused dot com x
    Liska @NewMumOnline recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

8. Tim June 15, 2016 / 5:37 pm

Calm and rational arguments. If only the politicians – on both sides – were more willing to argue on the facts rather than resorting to lowest common denominator messages and scaremongering.

Putting aside the arguments on both sides – there are plusses and minuses on both sides, let’s leave it at that – what saddens me the most is that, no matter what the result, a wedge has been driven in that divides the UK population. Whatever the result, about half the country will feel disgruntled and some of the arguments that have divided communities, friends and even families will not be quickly forgotten. Should we vote to Leave, how will immigrants (whether first generation or UK-born) feel? And if we Remain, how will the frustrations of those who are strongly anti-immigration manifest themselves?

The saddest thing of all for me is that our government’s actions in holding this referendum have provided a platform for the likes of Farage and those even further to the right of him to spout a lot of ignorant bile. I know a lot of people support what they say, but as a UK-born citizen and a son of Asian immigrants, it has stirred up a darker side of British society that makes me feel less welcome in the country of my birth than I have ever been.