The family anniversary meal

We’ve been trying to go for our anniversary meal for a few weeks now. Each time we attempt it, just the two of us, something happens. There was the sudden ear ache incident with Little Z. Then there was a party we’d already planned to go to. Then there was the ultra clingy baby phase. Then there was the big family dinner that everyone had to go to. Then there was…etc. We’d almost given up on it when we finally found ourselves, last weekend, with a free afternoon with nothing suddenly popping up. We did have one child with ear ache still, and one baby that hated every human besides his immediate family. So it was decided, all of us would go. We WERE going to have this anniversary meal. So off we all piled into the car. One slightly miserable boy and one cranky baby that didn’t like being tied into his car seat.

Everyone cheered up eventually and we went into nostalgic mode explaining to them about how we got married all those years ago and what kind of days we had. Little Z couldn’t understand why we, or indeed anyone, would ever want to get married. He was also a bit non plussed when we showed him the university we went to, mostly responding with “Oh”, to be polite. He was slightly more taken with the huge Vimto bottle that stands on the university grounds. We chanced a Lebanese place which turned out to be lovely with all of us there, and it dawned on us after all this time that we graduated and got married on the same date, a few years apart.

We’ve found we’re rubbish at taking family photos. We don’t all look in the same direction and Little Z now hates taking photos so spends his time pulling faces and just generally doing anything to put us off. The baby isn’t bothered either way, so will oblige ocassionally and try to escape most of the time. The end result is usually a mish mash of good and bad but always makes us roll our eyes and even smile when we look back at them.

We still need a meal, just the two of us, but we may have inadvertently started a bit of a tradition. Two meals to mark the ocassion. One with the boys and a second without. I best tell the Other Half about our new thing.

1. Katie @mummydaddyme July 16, 2016 / 9:32 pm

I think that two meals sounds like a great tradition, it’s quite sweet really! And I love the photos, he’s certainly a character Little Z. So strange you graduated on the same day as your wedding! xx

2. Tim July 17, 2016 / 12:29 am

Anything that involves two meals sounds fine by me!

I have the same problem with our three – you can never get them looking in the same direction with natural expressions at the same time.

3. Sarah MumofThree World July 17, 2016 / 7:32 am

Ha ha, Z looks a real cheeky monkey in those photos! The food looks delicious and two meals sounds like a very good idea 🙂
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 17.7.16My Profile

4. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) July 17, 2016 / 8:32 am

Love the faces Little Z is pulling in the photos and sounds like a good tradition to start! The meal out you had looks very yummy and hope you get to have your meal for just the two of you soon.
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo 17/07/16My Profile

5. natalie July 17, 2016 / 9:24 am

This is just like our house, every time something is planned someone is sick!! It is now a running joke in our house. We like most couples struggle to get some time together just us (I have actually wrote a similar post) but when we do it is so worth it. I love the idea of 2 meals – great pictures lovely xx

6. Lucy Dorrington July 17, 2016 / 12:07 pm

Sounds like a great way to get two meals out, might try it myself! #MySundayPhoto

7. Coombemill - Fiona July 17, 2016 / 12:07 pm

What a great tradition, and I love the smiles all around, Clio lending a helping hand for Coombe Mill

8. John Adams July 17, 2016 / 6:15 pm

Ha ha, family photos, good luck getting everyone looking the same way! Happy anniversary. Here’s hoping you get out on your own next year! #MySundayPhoto

9. laura - dear bear and beany July 17, 2016 / 7:09 pm

Sounds like a pretty great tradition to me! I struggle with getting 2 little people to look at the camera x

10. Nikki Thomas July 18, 2016 / 5:45 am

Two meals sound good to me too, sometimes you do have to adapt when you have children. I don’t think we even bother going out anymore, we just have a meal at home. What a coincidence about the dates?! Funny that you didn’t notice before. I love the photos, that is exactly how it is here, you can never get them all looking or smiling at the same time. You look happy though xx
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Taming the Tangles with Tangle TeezerMy Profile

11. Elaine Livingstone July 18, 2016 / 8:53 am

Love the face pulling child.
    Hope you get out for your meal just the two of you together soon.

12. Anne July 18, 2016 / 10:48 am

I love your photos, sometimes the natural ones are so much more appealing. Of course two meals is the best idea 🙂
    Anne recently posted…Courage – Word of the WeekMy Profile

13. Hayley @hayleyfromhome July 19, 2016 / 12:57 pm

Ah I think it’s lovely that you all went out together and that you could tell Z all about your wedding! Two dates sounds good though and I hope you get that meal just the two of you. Your family photos are very similar to mine, I just don’t know how people get their kids looking at the camera and not pulling a funny face…it seems impossible to me!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Sunny Days & Lavender FieldsMy Profile

14. Tracey Williams July 24, 2016 / 9:21 pm

I love the idea of having 2 meals on your anniversary. I love sharing our special moments with the kids, but equally look forward to some time just the 2 of us. We went out for a meal with the kids back in May when we celebrated our 15 years anniversary and it was lovely. Then we subjected them to our wedding video lol. I always love your pictures, such a natural and beautiful family x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Enjoying family time at Toby CarveryMy Profile