The first week of the summer holidays

We’ve had a surprisingly nice first week of the summer holidays. I have to admit, I was absolutely dreading it. I’ve not yet had quality time with both the boys at once for so long by myself and it felt a bit daunting. We’ve had a mixture of some bleak sun, as well as some torrential rain and it’s not been too bad. We’ve been out and about and visited family and friends and we’ve sat at home the odd day not doing very much and it’s been fine. We’ve also thanked our lucky stars for the little park opposite our house, known to us as “our park”. It’s given us somewhere to escape to when we’ve not got much else planned.

On the flip side we’ve had days where I could tear my hair out at times. Little Z is still learning how to have a sibling and, as much as he loves him, there is a streak of jealousy that he needs to journey through. It’s a mixed bag of lots of love and lots of “he’s taking my toys”. Sharing is still a bit of a learning curve and I’ve suddenly realised this week that these 6 weeks of holidays will mean more lessons in sharing and learning to be around each other. Baby E, on the other hand, is loving having his big brother home and continues to screech in Zs face with glee as well as slap him affectionately in the face. Thankfully, Z takes the slaps just as happily. It’s lovely watching that bit, the love between the two of them without the jealous and moany bits.

The week has ended with a girlie meal. I can’t remember the last time I went on one of those but it was a much enjoyed evening out and one I think should be repeated much more frequently. So, in the absence of kiddie pics this week, here are some lovely food pics that we took at Thaikun. Somewhere I’ll definitely be going back.

1. Coombemill July 31, 2016 / 12:12 am

Delicious looking food. I feel for you with the sibling jealousy thing, little Z will come through it, we had the same with number two and it isn’t at first, it’s after a few months.
    Coombemill recently posted…Cornish Mizzle brings out the Flower PowerMy Profile

2. Kim Carberry July 31, 2016 / 12:24 am

It sounds like the holidays are going well…
    Ahh! It is hard work teaching little one’s how to share….My girls are 13 & 8 and still haven’t quite got the hang of it yet. hehehe
    Ohh! That food looks amazing! It’s making me quite hungry x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Walking. #MySundayPhotoMy Profile

3. Neesie July 31, 2016 / 12:28 am

Oh my you’ve made me hungry… I’m positively drooling here.
    It all looks delicious. Girlie meals are a real treat especially when you are doing such an amazing job keeping everyone happy over the holiday period. Definitely book the next one soon!

4. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) July 31, 2016 / 12:37 am

Ooh that makes me feel hungry just looking at the photos. Glad that you enjoyed your girlie meal and hope that the lessons in sharing become easier as the holidays progress. Sounds like the boys are happy to have time together though even with the challenges that learning to share brings!
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo 31/07/16 – #bigkidsforGOSHMy Profile

5. Sarah MumofThree World July 31, 2016 / 7:26 am

That food! My mouth is watering even though it’s early in the morning. I had something similar to the top photo at Pho.
    It sounds like your first week of the holidays has gone pretty well. It’s great that you have a local park to escape to. I’ve had a lot of work on, so my kids have been rather ignored. Things will be different next week with my younger son on Scout camp. I’m hoping the other two won’t argue as much!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 31.7.16My Profile

6. Verily Victoria Vocalises July 31, 2016 / 10:55 am

It is a tricky balance with siblings! I used to fight with mine all the time. It sounds like your night out was well earned. That food looks stunning!

7. Tara July 31, 2016 / 1:21 pm

Cor! That meal looks delicious. I don’t think you’re alone in dreading the first week of the summer holidays. My friend has three children and has felt the same. She said they all need to try and settle into being together again and work out how they fit as well as get into a new routine. I’m so pleased it was better than you expected. #MySundayPhoto

8. Lucy Dorrington July 31, 2016 / 4:13 pm

That food looks amazing and it is tricky with siblings sometimes. It often depends on how close in age they are

9. Natalie July 31, 2016 / 5:33 pm

This looks delicious!!! We have spent a lot of time at parks too!! It’s if the weather is bad when we struggle in out house!!
    Natalie recently posted…My little ball of energyMy Profile

10. LauraCYMFT July 31, 2016 / 7:02 pm

Oh that food looks amazing! I could eat it all right now.

11. Plutonium Sox July 31, 2016 / 8:30 pm

Oh no! Your food pics are too good, now I’ve got a massive craving for a takeaway for dinner. And we went out for lunch. Eek! I hope the rest of the summer holidays go well for you.
    Plutonium Sox recently posted…The unpaid invoiceMy Profile

12. Hayley @hayleyfromhome July 31, 2016 / 8:56 pm

Your food photos are making me hungry Tas, what a great way to end the week – a celebration on making it through! I must admit our days can be a bit stressful too but I still enjoy having them all home – they don’t half squabble though! It’s easier to get them outdoors for a bit if you can xx
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…My Bullet Journal – One Month OnMy Profile

13. Mary Smith August 1, 2016 / 8:39 am

Oh man that food looks delish!

Glad you have had a good start to summer but its also comforting to know im not the alone in the “tearing my hair out days”. hope you have many more great summer days x

14. Cal at Family Makes August 1, 2016 / 1:37 pm

Gorgeous, delicious looking photos! And if the sibling rivalry doesn’t sort itself out…. well you won’t be alone! #MySundayPhoto

15. Sarah Christie August 3, 2016 / 9:58 pm

ooh that looks delicious, Jack had always been a bit like that with Joe on and off. Sometimes they are besties then they are competing grrr boys. The weather has not been too great either this week, has it x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…Denby Always EntertainingMy Profile

16. Tracey Williams August 7, 2016 / 10:38 pm

You always take amazing food pictures Tas, and I think the only way to get through the summer holidays is having something to look forward to just for you. I went for a swim with my best friend last week and it was so good for the soul. Thank heavens for the park opposite you, where you can escape for some fresh air and for the boys to burn off some energy x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…A room with a view at The Big Blue Hotel BlackpoolMy Profile

17. Karen Hannah August 20, 2016 / 8:45 pm

That food looks amazing!

I love that you have ‘your park’ – our house backs onto a park and so naturally that belongs entirely to us haha!

I’m sure you’re doing a great job of entertaining the boys over the holidays. Hope you continue to enjoy! Xx