A trip to Scotland – A few days in beautiful Edinburgh

I first went to Edinburgh a couple of years ago and I think I fell in love with it. It’s an amazing mixture of city life, stunning architecture and Royal history. Everything I love all in one place. If it was a tiny bit closer I would be popping there for weekends quite a lot more. As life would have it though, this is only my second trip up and we decided to during August, one of its busiest months with the fringe festival, school holidays and military tattoo on all at once. It really is crazy busy but so interesting to see such a melting pot of cultures and things all in one place. We stayed in a good old Premier inn on Princes street and it’s such an ideal spot for families. Close enough to a supermarket, the car park, the train station, a million eating places and the Royal mile. I would happily live there in a flash. Not in the premier inn. In a swanky apartment, I mean. On Princes street, overlooking the park with a clear view of the castle.

There are just so many shows to watch and you can join so many for free that we watched a mish mash of a lot of things. We would regularly walk past places that said things like “fringe venue number 465”. I’m not sure exactly how many fringe venues there were but it was definitely close to or over 500! At times, we had to steer Little Z away from the adult language of some of them but he was fascinated at all of them. It’s also Korean festival this month (see…SO much going on!) so there was a lot of martial arts related things happening on the streets as well as more delicate artistic performances. Oh and a pancake seller told me that the clubs stay open till 5am, which is about the time the baby wakes me for a feed! I nodded politely at that one and put more pancake in my mouth. The evenings were just as atmospheric and, with the military tattoo on at the castle, we were treated to nightly fireworks. I really really wanted to watch it but I doubt the baby would have sat through even 10 minutes of it. He’s now taken to shrieking every 30 seconds if he finds his voice echoes so it’s not the best time to confine him to a place where his screams will bounce off the walls and high ceilings.

One of my favourite bits of the city is the old town. You can spend hours just wandering about the Royal mile and, if you like historical buildings it’ll take you forever to make your down it as you’ll keep stopping to admire everything. It is SO old. It’s like a very clever architect and builder decided to build a city of impeccable quality. And hence, it’s still standing and functional today. Most of my photos of Edinburgh are of the old part.

This time, we dragged ourselves away from the city for a bit and explored Stirling, Falkirk and Loch Lomond. We wanted to do the Highlands too but found that the whole area is so vast it would need at least another week to see it all properly. Of course, this means that we’ll have to come back sometime and I may already have a few routes in my head for Easter.

Here’s some of our Edinburgh old town photos…

Edinburgh 2

Edinburgh 13

Edinburgh 14

Edinburgh 18

Edinburgh 20

My Random Musings

1. Plutonium Sox August 15, 2016 / 11:08 pm

Oh how fabulous, this is totally on my bucket list! I’ve never been to Edinburgh and I’d love to go to the fringe and the tattoo. Your photos are great too, really make me want to go!

• Notmyyearoff August 24, 2016 / 7:12 am

You would really love it. I think I could go back every year!

• Notmyyearoff August 24, 2016 / 7:12 am

It’s so good, I think a good couple of days would do it. Maybe even longer πŸ™‚

2. Sarah MumofThree World August 16, 2016 / 8:40 am

It looks and sounds amazing! It’s somewhere I would really like to go. I’ve only ever been for a day once before, although my husband has been a few times for work. It sounds like you need that Easter trip to explore further!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The dream come trueMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 27, 2016 / 7:27 pm

You should see if you can tag along with him next time. You’d love it and there’s so many different walks you can do. One day we’ll do the more spooky tours!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting Luss at Loch LomondMy Profile

3. Eileen Teo August 16, 2016 / 4:17 pm

I went there twice and both time I was ill. I must go again after seeing your amazing photos! Make me so jealous cos I only slept in the hotel when I reached there. Such a beautiful city.

• Notmyyearoff August 27, 2016 / 7:28 pm

Oh no that’s really bad luck. I hope its third time lucky if you ever visit again. It’s definitely worth another trip!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting Luss at Loch LomondMy Profile

4. The Reading Residence August 16, 2016 / 6:25 pm

Oh, I so want to go there! We’ve been meaning to go for ages and just today I’ve been formulating plans to go and take in Loch Lomond, too – we will get there one day! x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…5 Free Summer AdventuresMy Profile

5. Sarahbel August 17, 2016 / 8:50 am

I absolutely adore Edinburgh, my best friend lived there for 7 years and I went up to visit her at least once a year. It’s such a beautiful city and I think at it’s absolute best during the festival. It looks and sounds like you had a fab time and really made the most of your time in Scotland! #bloggerclubuk xx

6. Jo D August 17, 2016 / 11:09 am

Fabulous, welcome to our beautiful city – I live just outside Edinburgh and lovely that you could come and join in the fun of the Festival. Sounds like you had an amazing time. Perhaps we could do coffee next time.

7. Sarah Christie August 17, 2016 / 10:35 pm

Stunning photos, we visited about 4 years ago to go to the Tattoo and I too fell in love with it, it is one of those places I too want to spent much more time, it is just so beautiful and the atmosphere is electric in August x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…Sun Protection With Ambre Solaire Kids RangeMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 27, 2016 / 7:31 pm

The Tattoo sounds amazing and I found the BBC footage from 2015. What a show!! I really need to go back to see it one day.
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting Luss at Loch LomondMy Profile

8. Emma Plus Three August 19, 2016 / 9:40 pm

Gorgeous photos. We went to Edinburgh back in June and loved it, such a beautiful place x #BloggerClubUK

• Notmyyearoff August 27, 2016 / 7:33 pm

Oh it’s just so nice isn’t it? We’ve been once before in September and it was brilliant even during its “quieter” time.
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting Luss at Loch LomondMy Profile

9. Natalie August 21, 2016 / 7:00 pm

Great pictures – my husband surprised me with a trip to Edinburgh for my 30th birthday (way back whenever!) And I loved it!! I definitely need to take the girls one day. #bloggerclubuk
    Natalie recently posted…Halfway through….My Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2016 / 1:19 pm

That’s such a lovely birthday present. It’s a lovely place for birthdays (and clubbing as one person told me there but I’m a bit old for that!).
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting Luss at Loch LomondMy Profile

10. Mary Mayfield August 26, 2016 / 12:47 am

This year is the first Festival I’ve missed in five or six years. I’ve never bothered with the Tattoo but I love the weird free Fringe shows, the Book Festival, the quiet hideaways off the Royal Mile and even the chaos of the ‘flyering’ section where everyone tries to convince you to go to THEIR show. Even after so many visits I know there are still places quite close to the centre that I haven’t visited – so I must go back πŸ™‚
    Mary Mayfield recently posted…My First FestivalMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2016 / 1:20 pm

Some of the fringe shows are SO weird aren’t they? We giggled so much but there’s some amazing ones too. What a fab place!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting Luss at Loch LomondMy Profile

11. Tracey Williams August 26, 2016 / 10:02 pm

I loved following your trip Tas, and I really must book a trip to Edinburgh soon as I have never visited. There seems so much to do there, and looks really family friendly as well as being good for adults too. You can’t beat a good old Premier Inn can you x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Film Memorabilia, food and lots of fun at Planet HollywoodMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2016 / 1:21 pm

Oh you so should. You would absolutely love it!! There’s so much to do and it’s so beatiful too that you can’t help but want to go back!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…The National Wallace MonumentMy Profile

12. tots2travel August 30, 2016 / 7:46 am

Love that you enjoyed the colours and noise of the festival, even with a baby in tow.
    I spent a decade making documentaries about Scotland and there’s still so much I haven’t seen so don’t beat yourself up about not fitting everything in. πŸ™‚
    tots2travel recently posted…Day Out – 16 Top Tips for Visiting the Sky Garden, LondonMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2016 / 1:22 pm

I just love Scotland, it’s like I could just travel about it for about 3 months and still not see all of it. I really do need to go back!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting Luss at Loch LomondMy Profile

13. Smidge August 30, 2016 / 10:47 am

Lovely photos of my home city – I really do wish I could visit Edinburgh as a tourist sometimes rather than living here – maybe I wouldn’t get so stressed out with the festival πŸ˜‰ seriously the Festival is brilliant.
    Smidge recently posted…Weird (and wonderful) things to do in EdinburghMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2016 / 1:24 pm

Hehe I can imagine how the festival must be a bit stressful if you’re living there with all the interruptions. There’s just SO many venues isn’t there? It’s crazy but I loved it πŸ™‚
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting Luss at Loch LomondMy Profile

14. Elizabeth August 30, 2016 / 11:39 am

Beautiful photos! We were there the second to last week in July and it was relatively quiet. It looks fun with all the events going on. I’m usually not a city person but, like you found, Edinburg was truly charming.

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2016 / 1:25 pm

We’ve been once before in September and it was much quieter. I think with the baby so small we’ll go back when it’s non fringe time πŸ™‚
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting Luss at Loch LomondMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2016 / 1:26 pm

It’s a really amazing place especially for kids. And there’s so much free stuff to do. Mine love it and we keep discovering new things!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…The National Wallace MonumentMy Profile

15. Gin August 30, 2016 / 1:15 pm

I agree ! the old town is simply gorgeous ! There is so much to do in Edinburgh πŸ™‚ I really enjoyed the cemetery, to be able to see tom Riddle’s grave and the pub where JK Rowling wrote Harry potter. #citytripping

16. Cathy (Mummytravels) August 30, 2016 / 8:44 pm

It’s such a long time since I was last in Edinburgh and even longer since I was there for the festival but it is such a wonderful city. I would love to go back with my daughter some time – we’ve been to Glasgow together but the Old Town is very much on the list. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…Family Day Out: Albert Dock, LiverpoolMy Profile

17. Bumble Bee Mum August 31, 2016 / 4:01 am

More often than not, the photos I see of Edinburgh are pretty gloomy. Your pics are lovely! I could’t help laughing and wondering how many fringe venues there were in total… And who is keeping track??? #CityTripping
    Bumble Bee Mum recently posted…BonAppetour – Changing the way you dine & travel!My Profile

18. Hayley @hayleyfromhome September 3, 2016 / 8:27 am

Love your photos Tas, I’ve been meaning to come and read this for ages as I remember the first time you went to Edinburgh and how much you loved it. I’m with you, I would love there in a flash too! Me and James always say if we won the lottery we’d buy a flat there, it’s such an amazing city. Love how you’ve captured all the details from around the city and Z’s face on that photo with the scary man is so funny!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…My Summer Reading UpdateMy Profile

19. Christine September 4, 2016 / 9:23 am

We visited in July a couple of years back just before the festival started and decided we’d definitely like to come back in August. So next year our plan is to visit during the festival – although I’ve already balked at the accommodation prices! Glad to hear there are lots of free events πŸ™‚ #citytripping