The National Wallace Monument

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when we decided to go and see the National Wallace monument in Stirling. We knew it was a huge tower monument erected for Sir William Wallace and overlooks the place where the Battle of Stirling was fought and won. (I didn’t even know there was a battle at Stirling but I believe its in Braveheart too. Probably a movie I should watch again). We decided we couldn’t not see it and, not being quite sure whether we could even go up the tower, we thought we’d pop in anyway and see what happened.

It turns out its a huge tower situated on a hill. We took a bit of a steep walk through a little forest and I was already breathless by the time we got to the front door of the monument, I’m that unfit! There’s a bus you can take too if you’re not feeling up to it but seeing as even our 5 year old was bouncing up the hill, I felt a bit of a wimp taking public transport. The monument has a huge spiral staircase and you can climb straight to the top. It reminded me a lot of the Scott monument in Edinburgh. Its open to the public all the time but the tower itself has regular opening hours and there’s a car park situated right next to the visitors centre (with decent baby changing facilities!). The walk up the hill is buggy friendly on the road but not so much through the forest. If you’re able then its better to carry the baby in a carrier or go on the bus. Be aware that you can’t take your buggy up the monument stairs as they’re so narrow so these would have to be left at the door.

The William Wallace monument has 246 steps and you can stop off for little breaks (or to have a sleep / collapse on the floor) and view all the museum and historical pieces that are on display. We even saw William Wallace’s actual sword and it’s HUGE. I’m pretty sure it’s about my height, not that I’m that tall but he was apparently well over 6 feet in height and I guess could lift it with ease. Even if you’re really unfit it’s well worth going to the top. It gets so narrow the further up you go but the views were beautiful once we’d clambered up there. It was really REALLY blustery though and the barriers are very safe but you still feel a bit like you’ll be blown off the top. We spent a lot of time telling Z to not run about. He didn’t listen of course and had a brilliant time running from pillar to pillar. There’s a beautifully carved dome feature at the tip of the tower and the views of Stirling are stunning, even if a little wet and windy.

The walk down is definitely a lot easier and we found some guides all dressed in period clothing. They are really enthusiastic and its worth joining a group if you can as they take you on a tour of the grounds and through the woods. I’d definitely combine it all with Stirling castle as they’re so close together.

Here are some photos of our visit there….

William Wallace 15

William Wallace 1

William Wallace 2

William Wallace 6

William Wallace 7

William Wallace 4

William Wallace 9

William Wallace 10

William Wallace 12

William Wallace 5

William Wallace 13

William Wallace 14

1. Nikki Thomas August 27, 2016 / 8:56 pm

Wow so many steps!! I bet it was worth climbing to the top though, those views are amazing. That sword is so big, I bet I couldn’t even pick it up!
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Aquabeads Frozen PlaySetMy Profile

2. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) August 28, 2016 / 12:09 am

That’s a lot of steps! Glad you were able to stop for a rest on the way up (and down!) The views from the top are stunning and that sword is huge – bigger than I am!
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo 28/08/16My Profile

3. Brooke Neal August 28, 2016 / 4:06 am

Looks like a very interesting monument. I just may have to add this to my list of “go see” for our trip to the UK next year.
    Brooke Neal recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

4. John Adams August 28, 2016 / 6:02 am

I’ve seen it from afar many a time, but never actually visited. Oddly, your photos make it look much smaller than I realised, maybe because it’s on a hill? That sword though….wow! #MySundayPhoto
    John Adams recently posted…If you’re going to build your nest anywhere…My Profile

5. Fiona - Coombe Mill August 28, 2016 / 7:06 am

Such an imposing structure and stunning views from the top, definitely a great place for a family visit.

6. Sarah MumofThree World August 28, 2016 / 7:21 am

Great photos! Both the building and the view look stunning. You can see just how windy it is from that photo of you 🙂
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 28.8.16My Profile

7. Tara August 28, 2016 / 12:37 pm

What a brilliant place to visit. The tower looks a bit intimidating but beautiful at the same time. I’m pleased it worked out so well for you. How on earth did he lift that sword? #MySundayPhoto
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Week 34.My Profile

8. mummy here and there August 28, 2016 / 8:27 pm

What a stunning place to walk about, I bet you slept well that night 😉 x #MYSUNDAYPHOTO

9. tracey at Mummyshire August 28, 2016 / 10:15 pm

I’ve never visited before, although it is on my go see list! Although there are a lot of steps the views are stunning so very well worth the effort!
    tracey at Mummyshire recently posted…Sunday Photo : 28 August 2016My Profile

10. Natalie August 29, 2016 / 8:53 am

Oh my gosh this is stunning definitely worth the climb. However i would definitely be taking the bus ha! I would of met my husband and kids up there!!
    Natalie recently posted…Summer eveningsMy Profile

11. Emma Raphael August 29, 2016 / 9:19 am

That is such an interesting monument, and that view is a great reward for when you get to the top! Stunning pics! 🙂

12. Elaine Livingstone September 2, 2016 / 9:20 am

its a lovely day out with lots of other things to do in the area. We went once the first week in December and boy was it cold up the top, was also grey and dull do no pictures of scenery worth taking.
    I get up the stairs all right but coming down plays with my balance, took me 4 times as long to come down as it did to go up!!
    Particularly like your pics of the domed roof #MySundayPhoto

13. Hayley @hayleyfromhome September 3, 2016 / 8:32 am

Love that photo of you at the top Tas 🙂 It looks so worth the climb for those views, love how you stopped off at all these places on your travels, makes me want to go and explore!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…My Summer Reading UpdateMy Profile

14. Sarah Christie September 3, 2016 / 6:36 pm

Tas it is incredible, the views are gorgeous and the detail is stunning. We are visiting Scotland in October and I cant wait. Your photos are beautiful Tas x