Visiting the Kelpies at Falkirk

When I found we would be able to see the huge Kelpies from the motorway, a part of me thought “ah that’ll do!”. I wasn’t actually that fussed seeing them “live” as they’re just a pair of horse heads aren’t they? A few people kept saying not to do that and to stop and take them in and we ended up deciding that we would stop for about 10 minutes and then rush off to Stirling castle. I’m pretty sure we ended up staying a whole hour in the end. Possibly a bit more as it took FOREVER to change screaming Baby E’s nappy in the changing room.

They are really really impressive. They were built by the artist Andy Scott as a tribute to all the working horses that pulled heavy workloads up the canals and the Kelpies are very aptly situated next to it at Falkirk; where Andy Scotts father came from. The name Kelpies comes from the mythological creatures that possess the strength of 100 horses. They stand at 30 metres tall (100 ft) and took 8 years to build. They’re a steel construction but the detail is just so amazing and you’ll find yourself staring at them from all angles for quite a while. If you like taking pictures then you’ll probably just keep circling them and taking all sorts of shots.

It was windy and rainy the day we visited and we were all wrapped up in coats and hats for the entire week. Weirdly, it wasn’t cold but its all so open around the Kelpies that it feels very blustery. There was a 45 minute tour that wasn’t going to happen for another half hour so we decided to skip it and do our own exploring. It’s probably worth doing if you have the time as you get to see the inside of it which has been described like having the same acoustics as a cathedral in the way your voice bounces off the walls. It’s a vast space inside and would have been interesting to see. I think the baby would have loved it immensely. He’s taken to screaming every 10 seconds, especially if he find his voice echoes. It would have been quite the treat for him. Probably not so much for the other visitors. If you do happen to be in the area then its a must see. I really wanted a Kelpies mug (these days I really just want a mug of everywhere!) but it was a tiny bit pricey so I’ve settled for a good old Scotland one. It’s worth checking out the gift shop too though!

Travel Loving Family

1. Nikki Thomas August 19, 2016 / 5:09 pm

They are fabulous, I had never heard of them, let alone seen them before so it is really interesting to read the history behind them. Gorgeous photos

• Notmyyearoff August 21, 2016 / 7:02 pm

I hadn’t either before I started looking at what’s around Edinburgh. Definitely worth seeing if you happens to find yourself there.
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Visiting the Kelpies at FalkirkMy Profile

2. Gem August 20, 2016 / 7:58 am

Wow! They’re impressive! Embarrassed to say that I’ve never heard of the kelpies. Would definitely love to see them one day if I’m ever up that way! Lovely photos x

3. Sarah MumofThree World August 20, 2016 / 10:22 am

They look absolutely stunning! I hadn’t realised they were so huge. Obviously well worth a visit. If we ever find ourselves in Scotland I’ll make sure we check them out.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Tempting Fate by Jane GreenMy Profile

4. Erica Price August 20, 2016 / 1:37 pm

I hadn’t realised that you could go inside. I’ll make sure we get to do it on one of my trips to visit my sister.
    Erica Price recently posted…DIY HelpmateMy Profile

5. Sarah Christie August 20, 2016 / 9:10 pm

Tas they looks breathtaking, I so want to explore Scotland so much more and hope to do a bit of this next year. Although we are starting with Loch Lomond in October I cant wait eek. I also love the pics of you they are lovely, your trip looks like it was so fab x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…My Weekly Round Up, SunshineMy Profile

6. Cathy Glynn August 21, 2016 / 4:48 am

They are simply beautiful, my daughter would be in awe at the amazing sight x

• Notmyyearoff August 23, 2016 / 8:47 pm

They are so good to see. Definitely one for your list if you find yourselves there!

7. bettyl - NZ August 21, 2016 / 6:22 am

I have seen close ups of these sculptures but didn’t really get the idea of their size until your photos. Nice photos and the field of flowers is just lovely.
    bettyl – NZ recently posted…St Joseph’s Convent, Jerusalem, NZMy Profile

8. Tara August 21, 2016 / 6:39 am

I’d love to visit them, they look amazing. Your pics are fabulous and really do them justice. #MySundayPhoto

• Notmyyearoff August 23, 2016 / 8:47 pm

Thanks Tara. We almost skipped them out completely but glad we didn’t now!

9. John Adams August 21, 2016 / 9:28 am

Been there myself! They’re very photogenic aren’t they and in a lovely spot. Hope you’re enjoying the drive around Scotland.

• Notmyyearoff August 23, 2016 / 8:50 pm

Thanks, it’s been a brilliant road trip. One day id like to see them at night time when they’re all lit up!

10. Hayley @hayleyfromhome August 21, 2016 / 11:38 am

Wow they look amazing. I hadn’t really known they were so big, very impressive! I can see why you ended up staying longer, I really need to plan our own little Scotland roadtrip I think 🙂
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…A Week At Home & Slowing DownMy Profile

11. Elaine Livingstone August 21, 2016 / 2:43 pm

Personally I was not that impressed with them. I like the wooden walkway best reminded me of the yellow brick road.
    Cold and windy about sums up this area of the uk. #MySundayPhoto

12. Cal at Family Makes August 21, 2016 / 8:56 pm

I used to live in Perthshire but never got to visit these. I really must try and go one day – thanks for the reminder! #MySundayPhoto

13. Mummy on a Budget August 21, 2016 / 9:55 pm

We saw them a couple of years ago and I’m so glad we did. They’re beautiful and I love the way the light comes through them. Great pictures. #MySundayPhoto

14. Claire August 21, 2016 / 10:24 pm

Oh wow, I had never heard of this place before. They are stunning. I need to visit now!! Lovely pictures ..

15. lisa@intotheglade August 21, 2016 / 10:51 pm

Oh I would love to see the Kelpies for real, they do look amazing. I think I will have to put them on next years list of things to do. Lovely pictures, especially the ones of you, it is nice to see you. Also, the picture of Z with the dogs is great – he is such a handsome little chap xx
    lisa@intotheglade recently posted…A Wirral Sunset!My Profile

16. tracey at Mummyshire August 22, 2016 / 12:05 am

I wasn’t aware of all the history behind them, and your photos looks absolutely amazing. I’d be interested in seeing the Kelpies. Great photos of you all

17. Amy September 3, 2016 / 9:00 pm

These are gorgeous, I’ve always wanted to go to Scotland (these will make the to visit list)! Great post. x
    Amy recently posted…Babywearing With The Wuti Wrap™My Profile

18. Jennifer (aka Dr. J) September 19, 2016 / 10:28 am

Wow…those sculptures are stunning. I’d never heard of the Kelpies before but now I really want to visit. Thanks so much for sharing!

19. Elizabeth Newcamp September 19, 2016 / 10:34 am

We were just there and took the tour that goes inside them! I was just so fascinated by how beautiful they were! (We also got the littles some ice cream at the shop so it was a highlight for them too! haha.) Glad you stopped! #MondayEscapes
    Elizabeth Newcamp recently posted…Biesland Dagen 2016 // Photo DiaryMy Profile

20. Confuzzled Bev September 19, 2016 / 11:14 am

Oooh, these look very impressive! Something to bear in mind if we make it to Scotland again.

21. Coral -Way Too Much Luggage September 19, 2016 / 11:55 am

Great pictures.We love the Kelpies ! We visited in Autumn so were lucky that we could hang around long enough for it to get dark and then see them light up at night ! Mesmerising. The Helix park is great for kids of all ages too.

22. Trish @ Mum's Gone To September 19, 2016 / 12:43 pm

I nearly saw the Kelpies in 2014. We had visited the Falkirk Wheel and they had just been unveiled but not properly ‘opened’ so I had no clue that they were there. Can’t believe we missed them! We were in Kircudbright a couple of weeks ago and they had a touring exhibition of mini kelpies so I did see those – but it wasn’t the same at all as these fantastic beasts.
    Trish @ Mum’s Gone To recently posted…Taking a dip in Churchill’s bathMy Profile

23. Susan Dalzell September 19, 2016 / 12:55 pm

What lovely sculptures! I imagine they must be quite striking to see in person. (I’m living in Japan at the moment, so might be a while before I get the chance. Now you’ve got me itching to visit Scotland again!) #MondayEscapes

24. Sam September 19, 2016 / 10:45 pm

I’d never heard of the Kelpies before. They look stunning! I’ve never been to Scotland but I would love to visit there one day. Your photos are lovely too.

25. pc September 20, 2016 / 1:20 am

Wow! now i see the real Kelpies. lol.

We were in Falkirk for the Falkirk Wheel, saw the mini one and learnt a little about about its tribute. Didn’t go to the park as we were also half way to our next destination from Edinburgh;). #MondayEscapes
    pc recently posted…Carrbridge, The Kitchen and Carr-BridgeMy Profile

26. Karen (@karenjwhitlock) September 20, 2016 / 5:49 am

When I saw your photo I HAD to check out your post. Not heard of these before but they are so impressive! Must be amazing to actually see them as your photos of them are wonderful!

27. Wave to Mummy September 20, 2016 / 10:06 pm

I’ve never heard of these before but they look quite amazing! Definitely worth getting off and spending a bit of time with them! #Mondayescapes