My Year 1 boy

Something happened over the summer holidays. In all our days of pottering about and running from place to place, I didn’t even really notice it happen. Then Z went back to school and that’s when I realised that my big boy had changed a lot. He’d suddenly grown up a lot, in character as well as maturity.

He no longer needed to be coaxed into school week after week and I no longer had to count down the days for him and promise it was just two more days till the weekend where he could have two whole days off school. He was going into class quite happily and really seemed to like Year 1. I wasn’t too sure why though because he loved playing SO much and that was all back at reception. It’s been a good few weeks since then and he’s still going into class willingly. Of course there are days when it takes a good few attempts to get him out of bed but it’s a huge relief to see he is enjoying Year 1, this more grown up year of more writing and more reading. Spellings still feels like a huge chore and can be almost torturous on some days, but a love of reading is blossoming nicely. It reminds me of me many years ago, getting lost in a story and wanting to know what happens on the next page. It’s lovely to watch his reactions when reading and I am itching to introduce him to Roald Dahl, albeit a bit early. I know he will absolutely love George’s Marvellous medicine, but I know I will have to issue stern warnings about never ever EVER trying it on either of his Grandmas. He’s even taken to letting the baby join in with reading time, or any kind of playing time, which is lovely to see. Like when they spent a whole hour in a huge box this weekend.

He’s also grown in confidence over the last year and he surprised us a few days ago when he offered to order his own meal and proceeded to politely pick things off the menu. He then went over to the counter to ask them for another drink. A year ago he would have simply smiled and hoped that the waiter smiled back. And where once the prospect of going to breakfast club would have him looking very anxious, we agreed he would try it out and he bravely went in on the first day and fell in love with it all. It’s always run by his two favourite teachers plus a very lovely teacher from one of the senior years. He now asks to go every single day, about 3 times a day. I think Mario kart has something to do with it.

He definitely has his difficult times, like any child, and food is still a constant battle in our house. School meals have helped a massive amount and I’m so grateful he’s now eating more than just toast and pasta and potatoes. And like any 5 year old, he can be super cheeky and evidently has the answer to everything, even when he’s stubbornly refusing to eat and when I’m threatening to take his treats away. This a flavour of my life right now…

Me: “If you don’t eat, I’m going to throw your drink in the bin”
Z: “You have to put it in recycling”
Me: “…eat!”

I need to work harder on my comebacks.

1. Nikki Thomas October 15, 2016 / 10:36 pm

Isn’t it funny how all the toys in the world can’t beat a good old cardboard box! It is amazing how much they grow up as they go into Year 1 and you will see it again next year as A is so grown up now, I almost can’t remember what she was like in Reception and then you look at the Reception children and they all look so small in comparison. It is seriously crazy. It all sounds really positive though which is great.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Beautiful Bakes Made Easy with BakedinMy Profile

2. Susan Mann October 15, 2016 / 11:37 pm

Ahh you can’t beat a cardboard box, mine are the same. Wee Z and my little boy T would get on like a house on fire, he too has witty comebacks. Can’t believe how fast this year has went. Glad it’s all going well x
    Susan Mann recently posted…When do you start your Christmas shopping?My Profile

3. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) October 16, 2016 / 12:07 am

Love that photo of Z and E in the cardboard box – looks like they are having a lot of fun! So glad that little Z is settling in to Year 1 so well and growing in confidence πŸ™‚
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo 16/10/16My Profile

4. Martyn October 16, 2016 / 12:13 am

Kids and a big box! Hours of fun! Madness how quickly everything is happening this year. Glad the cheekiness is still there too πŸ˜‰ #mysundayphoto
    Martyn recently posted…My Sunday Photo 16/10/16My Profile

5. Tim October 16, 2016 / 12:17 am

Glad to hear Z’s finding school a more positive experience. We have seen a similar change come over Toby in moving up to year 2. Long may it continue!
    Tim recently posted…My Sunday Photo: What’s new, Pussycat?My Profile

6. Neesie October 16, 2016 / 12:31 am

It’s frightening just how fast the time goes, because you reminded me just how much my son liked to play with boxes and he’s 24 on his next birthday. Make note of the subtle changes because they can slip right on by. Great to hear of Z’s positive attitude to school. You must be relieved.

7. Tara October 16, 2016 / 6:18 am

Good old cardboard boxes. I wish I’d just stocked up on them instead of toys, I’m sure Freya gets much more enjoyment from them. So pleased he likes school now, it must have been horrible having to count down the days until the weekend.
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Week 41.My Profile

8. Sarah MumofThree World October 16, 2016 / 7:05 am

The recycling comment made me laugh!
    It’s great to hear how he is thriving and I’m very impressed at him ordering his own food in a restaurant. My 12yo wouldn’t do that! He won’t even take his own purchases to the counter in a shop.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 16.10.16My Profile

9. Photalife October 16, 2016 / 8:22 am

The change from reception to Year 1 is a tricky one. Mia is making that transition at the moment. They grow up so quickly

Photalife recently posted…#MySundayPhoto – Hey LadybirdMy Profile

10. Emma Raphael October 16, 2016 / 8:52 am

That cardboard box picture is adorable. It’s funny how much they grow up during that school year isn’t it? Mind you I was going through some photos last night, I cannot believe how much my older two have grown up since the baby arrived! x
    Emma Raphael recently posted…Sunday Photo – An Italian EveningMy Profile

11. Carie October 16, 2016 / 12:04 pm

Oh I’m so glad he’s enjoying it; it’s so hard when you know they have to go to school but they’re not keen! I love the picture of them all in the box, somehow a large box will always trump any number of toys!!
    Carie recently posted…Not my everydayMy Profile

12. Debbie October 16, 2016 / 1:12 pm

Hi Tas, it so nice when a child progresses on their own, under our very noses. It just goes to show that when children are ready they can take things in their stride. If anyone were to write a Book Of Comebacks, it would be an instant best seller, but they would have to be good ones!

Debbie recently posted…A Letter To All Those Ba****dsMy Profile

13. Carol October 16, 2016 / 4:33 pm

Something so secure and safe about boxes. I guess we all have a little cat in us. Congrats on your growing boy!
    Carol recently posted…Golden Rain Trees In BloomMy Profile

14. Laura October 16, 2016 / 7:45 pm

Fab photo! Kids love a good cardboard box don’t they? He sounds like a wonderful little boy. They all try our patience but I think that’s part of their job as they grow up and gain more independence.
    Laura recently posted…CreepyMy Profile

15. Laura @ Little Ladies Big World October 16, 2016 / 7:50 pm

Really lovely to hear he is enjoying school and its sometimes so hard to notice the changes day to day isn’t it? My eldest is obsessed with Roald Dahl and has done since she was 3 so it’s never too early! X

16. Katie @mummydaddyme October 16, 2016 / 7:56 pm

Haha so cute and yes I have to work on my comebacks too. I could have written this post as it is the same with Mads, Jon and I were just looking at her today and saying we can’t believe how grown up she is. It’s lovely to see them doing so well in year one isn’t it? x

17. Sarah Christie October 16, 2016 / 8:11 pm

Ha ha that is soooo funny recycling cheeky little thing, I think the school thing sinks in all of a sudden and what a relief when it does. And the food thing, that just gets easier and easier all the time. Jack was terrible when he was younger and has steadily improved x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…A Morning WalkMy Profile

18. Emma T October 16, 2016 / 11:55 pm

Love it. They definitely make a big leap don’t they – although N wouldn’t go and order food or drinks, although he will hand over money at a till for a purchase.

Glad it’s going well with the reading etc and no playing. N made me laugh pouring scorn on the reception year because all they do is play. Yep, that’s what he did all of last year!

Do come and link up over at #schooldays.
    Emma T recently posted…School Days – reading levels and Red lunchtimeMy Profile

19. Hayley @hayleyfromhome October 17, 2016 / 10:41 am

The bit about the comebacks has made me laugh out loud, that is SO me and they always have an answer for everything. I always swore I wouldn’t resort to, ‘cos I said so’ and I say it several times a day!! It sounds like he’s really settled down and I feel the same about Lucas, it’s so lovely to see them growing up and becoming proper little people. You should defintley read him Geoge’s Marvellous Medicine, Lucas absolutley loved it!! xx
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Everyman Theatre LiverpoolMy Profile

20. Karen Hannah October 18, 2016 / 12:15 am

It’s funny how they just turn a corner all of a sudden isn’t it! Rowan HATED school, so much so that if you recall we considered taking him out of school altogether because it was wearing us all down no end. Well he went back in September and he is like a different child – literally runs into school! I’m glad Z has the same attitude, maybe the food will be his next big breakthrough!

21. Sara | mumturnedmom October 22, 2016 / 7:11 pm

They really are too clever by half, aren’t they. I get away with very little! I’m so glad he’s settling well into Year 1, and that he is developing a love for reading. That’s such a wonderful thing x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…Project 366: Week 41-42: 283-296My Profile