A postcard from Abu Dhabi – a lovely half term break

Fairmont Abu Dhabi

We’ve been in Abu Dhabi about 4 days now and I kept meaning to send this sooner. You know how it is though. We got a bit caught up in all the sun and food and more sun. It is so lovely here. I wasn’t 100% sure there’d be that much to do here when we booked it. We’d found the holiday all a bit last minute and never had any time to look at things to do but it’s a whole hive of all sorts. A sort of a calmer Dubai, but still as vibrant and jam packed with sights and attractions; definitely not just all dessert. And Abu Dhabi is hot, around 31 degrees right now.

Flying with a 1 year old

Abu Dhabi

img_8123

We’ve spent days lounging on the Abu Dhabi beaches and at the hotel pools and we’ve eaten so well. I think I have have eaten my own body weight in beef brisket burgers, they are a-maz-ing. There are people here who have stunning beach bodies and who have obviously worked out for months before coming, full of self control at all the dining places and complete with perfect tans. Then there’s me, making a long mental list daily of what new thing i can eat. It is foodie heaven here.

Beef brisket
Chocolate gallery fairmont

Fairmont cakes

Macarons chocolate gallery

The boys are loving it. Both caught a bug on different days which slowed us down a bit but it’s meant we all took it easier and read books and stopped rushing about. I’m always slightly dubious about any hotel we book for the first 24 hours, no matter how nice, as I worry if it’ll be family friendly and worth the money. It was the same here until I saw the food and all the facilities, but more so when the boys got poorly with a 24 hour bug. The hotel staff have been SO helpful and just perfect with looking after them. Most of the concierge now know both our little monkeys and they regularly say “we were just talking about you”, when they really mean they were wondering about how the boys are. A real kid loving place. I want to come back here next year now.

Ferrari worldM
Sheikh Zayed mosque

We’ve made it to some good places like the Sheikh Zayed mosque, Ferrari world, Yas island and Yas Mall and hopefully will do the corniche today. I’ll blog about those once I’m back. We have a really lovely view of the mosque from our hotel room and we watch the sky change into all sorts of colours over it as the sun goes down each day. The skyline is all corporate and financial hubs around here and some of the architecture is so impressive and still changing. I think it’ll look a lot busier in a few years. We’ve done our usual thing of “do you think we should look to move here?”. That’s when we know we really loved the holiday. I think I’d move for the beef brisket alone to be honest, but I suppose one needs a salary to pay for all that brisket meat too.

Kids in Abu Dhabi

Sunset in Abu Dhabi

Wish you were here. Mwah!

MummyTravels
My Random Musings

1. Sarah MumofThree World November 7, 2016 / 10:14 am

It looks stunning and I’m glad you still managed to do a lot, despite the bug! I’m a vegetarian and even I thought that beef brisket looked delicious!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The Italian restaurantMy Profile

2. Wandermust Mummy November 8, 2016 / 7:25 am

Lovely pictures. I would love to visit the Grand Mosque. Never been to AD but have been to Dubai many times. It’s on my list for next year! If you are interested I am currently doing a roundup of Great Middle Eastern hotels 2016 and looking for collaborators. If you would like to be involved send me an email at wandermustfamily at wandermustfamily.com

#citytripping

• Notmyyearoff November 12, 2016 / 7:47 pm

The grand mosque is well worth a visit. There’s so much amazing detail to see in there. It’s only an hour from Dubai too so well worth popping in!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Flying with a one year oldMy Profile

3. Lolo November 8, 2016 / 7:53 am

I have always been awed by the beauty of the Grand Mosque! I’d love to go one day and explore Abu Dhabi! #CityTripping

4. Ahila November 8, 2016 / 8:34 am

Beautiful photos of Sheikh Zayed mosque! #CityTripping

5. Susan Mann November 8, 2016 / 10:10 am

Wow what an amazing place to visit. Glad you all had the best time. Look at that sunset, stunning. Those cakes, yum and the boys looked like the had a ball. I’ve never been, but one of my engineers worked there for a bit and loved it. x
    Susan Mann recently posted…De-Stressing And Helping Migraines With YogaiaMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff November 12, 2016 / 7:49 pm

They have a good few IT jobs there if you fancy it 😉 I absolutely could eat my way through all their nice restaurants!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Flying with a one year oldMy Profile

6. Rebecca | AAUBlog November 8, 2016 / 11:20 am

this looks amazing! i have only been to Dubai but Abu Dhabi seems much more relaxed. my husband has been for the F1 race there and he loved it #citytripping

• Notmyyearoff November 12, 2016 / 7:52 pm

It has a really good and friendly vibe and they have Ferrari world too which is a lot of fun. Definitely a more relaxed version of Dubai!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Flying with a one year oldMy Profile

7. Helena - Babyfoote November 8, 2016 / 1:09 pm

Oh it sounds heavenly! And that’s coming from someone currently in Koh Samui! You described it so wonderfully I want to come now (though is that for the brisket, I’m not sure)

• Notmyyearoff November 12, 2016 / 7:53 pm

Koh Samui sounds wonderful. Hope you’re having a brilliant time. You definitely must visit Abu Dhabi if you can!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Flying with a one year oldMy Profile

8. Julia @ Rainbeaubelle November 8, 2016 / 3:16 pm

This looks amazing, I have loved following your holiday adventures on instagram too! x

9. Life Loving November 9, 2016 / 1:19 pm

I loved the enormity and the extravagance of Dubai, but I’ll be honest, I didn’t find the people we met very friendly. Such a contrast to you. It’s such an interesting place to visit and I would go back, but there wasn’t the warmth I’d experienced in other places.

Sally @ Life Loving

• Notmyyearoff November 12, 2016 / 7:57 pm

We found it really friendly and our hotel staff were so welcoming. I found Dubai friendly but a mad rush compared to Abu Dhabi which is a bit more relaxed.
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Flying with a one year oldMy Profile

10. Natalie Wong November 9, 2016 / 3:32 pm

Abu Dhabi has never really been a must see destination for me although the weather and food aspects do sound attractive! #CityTripping

11. Joanne Addison November 9, 2016 / 8:20 pm

Look at those beaches!I could do with a bit of sun at the moment – we woke up to snow this morning! I hadn’t realised how much there was to do in Abu Dhabi with kids before. Thanks for sharing. #citytripping

• Notmyyearoff November 12, 2016 / 8:23 pm

We’ve had snow since we got back and I really appreciate the bit of sun we soaked up. It’s 31 degrees right now!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Flying with a one year oldMy Profile

12. Cathy (Mummytravels) November 10, 2016 / 4:55 pm

The mosque always looks incredible in photos – I had never really thought of Abu Dhabi for a sunshiney break but sounds like it’s been a lovely holiday. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…22 things to do on the Thames, LondonMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff November 12, 2016 / 8:02 pm

It’s such a good place for a relaxing bit of sun and very cosmopolitan too with good food so a bit of a nice all rounder.
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Flying with a one year oldMy Profile

13. Jo (Mother of Teenagers) November 11, 2016 / 9:19 am

My husband travels alot in the Middle East for work and we often piggy back if his trips coincide with a hotel, but we are yet to go to Abu Dhabi although he has been many times. Looks like you had a great holiday. Thanks for sharing. #bloggerclubuk

• Notmyyearoff November 12, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Piggyback to different places sounds wonderful. Hope you get to go to Abu Dhabi too. I think you’d like it!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Flying with a one year oldMy Profile

14. Honestmum November 11, 2016 / 11:51 am

I need to visit: gorgeous photos and like you guys we do that ‘shall we move here?’ thing when we love a holiday. Travelling is everything isn’t it?! Love this post xx

• Notmyyearoff November 12, 2016 / 8:24 pm

I love dreaming of living there. I think it would take a lot to take the plunge buts it’s always nice to just wonder 🙂
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Flying with a one year oldMy Profile

15. yvette morgan November 13, 2016 / 3:57 pm

Looks amazing, lovely pics, could eat them cakes right now x #TotsTravel

16. Louise Fairweather November 13, 2016 / 8:41 pm

Oh it looks beautiful. After having had such a lovely time in Dubai, I would love to visit here.

17. Jess @ Catch A Single Thought November 15, 2016 / 11:54 am

Tas this looks absolutely amazing, and all that food!! Sorry to hear the boys got a little stomach bug whilst you were out there but brilliant that the hotel staff were so helpful. We always talk about moving abroad (to wherever we happen to be at the time!) as well haha.

18. Kat November 18, 2016 / 12:31 pm

Abu Dhabi sounds and looks interesting. I reckon it’s always in the shadow of vibrant Dubai but of late, I have come across a number of travelogues on Abu Dhabi – I’m tempted now! 🙂