Those Christmas hot chocolates

I really don’t like coffee at all, unless it’s heavily flavoured and full of milk. So it’s not really coffee anymore at all but just a sugary and milky latte. I do love a good catch up in a coffee shop though, usually with a good friend or cousin. Talking at high speed about all sorts is very therapeutic and coffee shops across the nation must act as a very helpful outlet for a lot of venting.

I find myself chucking the not too much sugar vow straight out the window in December. It’s the fault of those novelty Christmas hot chocolates. I usually want to work my way through every single one, just to try the new flavours. I’m still trying to pluck up the courage to try the salted caramel one. Mixing salt into a mmilk drink just feels so wrong. But I need to still try. The problem these days is that cutting down on sugar through the year has meant I find it all really sweet. I still power through though, like a dedicated hot chocolate trooper. I must try them all, including the Black Forest hot chocolate I tried this week. Until I eventually get to the end where I throw in the sugary towel and feel a tiny bit sick.

I then resort back to ordering a good old pot of tea and some cake, usually of the carrot variety, and you’ll find me trying to get my coffee mate to eat more than half the cake, because I’m trying to be good. Throw in Christmas novelty biscuits, Christmas savoury snacks, Christmas tins of chocolate, and December suddenly becomes really hard, doesn’t it?

Christmas hot chocolate

Photalife

1. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) December 4, 2016 / 12:02 am

Ooh yes it’s hard to cut down on sugar at this time of year. I love Black Forest hot chocolate but agree that it does get a bit sickly towards the end. Haven’t tried the salted caramel one yet though! 🙂
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo 04/12/16My Profile

2. Alan Herbert December 4, 2016 / 12:34 am

That Black Forest Gateaux one sounds delicious. Hot Chocolate is such a great drink for a cold winters evening beside the fire with a good Christmas movie on the tele.
    Alan Herbert recently posted…24 Blogs of XmasMy Profile

3. Debbie December 4, 2016 / 6:49 am

Hi Tas, I’m already consuming far too much sugar and we’ve not got the decorations up yet! I love chocolate, but really don’t like hot chocolate (and I have tried so hard to). The idea of a big mug of hot chocolate covered in marshmallows or cream and sprinkled with more chocolate really appeals to me. But the reality never lives up to the image in my head. I’ve tried posh ones, cheap ones and even made my own melting down real chocolate (which never goes to waste as the family drink it)…. I’ll just stick with Dairy Milk – by the slab!

There’s always January to cut back on sugar again if our liver holds out!

xx
    Debbie recently posted…Puppies In CrimeMy Profile

4. Tara December 4, 2016 / 7:05 am

Massive hot chocolate fan here (all year round though!). I think the Black Forest one might be too much even for me. #MySundayPhoto
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Week 48.My Profile

5. Sarah MumofThree World December 4, 2016 / 7:30 am

I had to laugh at you selflessly powering through all the sugar!
    I don’t drink coffee or hot chocolate, so I’m the weirdo that has a bottle of water in a coffee shop – or maybe an orange juice if I’m feeling particularly extravagant!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 4.12.16My Profile

6. Brooke Neal December 4, 2016 / 7:32 am

Oh well, my comment just was deleted. Anyways, I ‘ll say it again only briefly. The only reason to like cold weather is the excuse to drink hot cocoa all the time!

7. Andrea @Topsy Turvy Tribe December 4, 2016 / 8:46 am

How decadent and yummy looking! Christmas seems to be all about luxurious treats, we have to be a little naughty someone don’t we!
    Andrea @Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…Stunning SierrasMy Profile

8. Erica Price December 4, 2016 / 9:03 am

I’m not a coffee drinker either. Tea is more my thing, but sometimes a hot chocolate really hits the spot. There are a lot of goodies around this month.
    Erica Price recently posted…Win A Stoats £20 Goody BagMy Profile

9. Kara December 4, 2016 / 9:39 am

I do love my hot chocolates too……..they are not healthy but they taste soooooo good 🙂

10. fiona December 4, 2016 / 12:47 pm

My colleague ordered one of these this week, it looked delicious but I thought about the gazillion calories and stuck with a pot of tea. Your photo is selling it good though!
    fiona recently posted…Sunday PhotoMy Profile

11. Kim Carberry December 4, 2016 / 1:42 pm

Ohh! I do love a hot chocolate at this time of year….I have drank so many over the last few weeks….
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Rudolph! #MySundayPhotoMy Profile

12. Neesie December 4, 2016 / 2:59 pm

I’m an avid tea drinker, but I think there’s nothing better than to enjoy a mug of hot chocolate when the weather turns wintery. Your photo is just perfect and now I’m off to make myself one.
    By the way… drinking hot chocolate is part of the ‘hygge’ way (haha) Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Enjoy your Sunday and have a great week 😀
    Neesie recently posted…My Sunday Photo… Hygge HomeMy Profile

13. Sarah Christie December 4, 2016 / 6:48 pm

I love coffee, but the same with the sugar thing I have so much more lately than usual, but omg you have to try salted caramel it is the best combination ever x

14. Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours December 4, 2016 / 6:56 pm

I have never tried a flavoured coffee and don’t like the idea of it! I love a plain old latte so I think any flavour would spoil it! My son however is like you and loves trying all the christmassy coffees in the coffee shops! x
    Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours recently posted…#MySundayPhoto 04/12/16My Profile

15. LauraCYMFT December 4, 2016 / 7:46 pm

The diet just gets put to the side during December here LOL. I love all things chocolatey and yummy!
    LauraCYMFT recently posted…Snow PeaksMy Profile

16. Lisa@intotheglade December 5, 2016 / 11:28 am

Oh wow that looks good. I totally agree, it is soooo difficult this time of year. I often think that if I didn’t drink coffee, I would not have much of a social life ha! Have a great week xx
    Lisa@intotheglade recently posted…PhotographsMy Profile

17. The Reading Residence December 5, 2016 / 1:38 pm

It does! I don’t drink coffee either, so I am all about the hot chocolates in December, I cannot resist them! And then there’s the mandatory mince pies and Christmas cake, too, which you simply have to eat as it’s Christmas, and any diet is out the window!
    The Reading Residence recently posted…The Giovanni Rana Famiglia Table ChallengeMy Profile

18. Tracey Williams December 6, 2016 / 11:10 am

You need steel willpower at this time of year don’t you. I am trying to give up coffee as I suffer with migraines, though I can’t resist a gingerbread latte at this time of year. It’s the Christmas law that you have to try at least one festive drink, if not all of them x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…The best burgers at Handmade Burger CoMy Profile

19. Sian - The Mama Story December 7, 2016 / 11:46 am

I love the idea of them but I can’t drink them – too sweet for me! Mulled wine on the other hand …..

20. Natalie December 7, 2016 / 6:07 pm

Ooh I love the Christmas hot chocolates however sometimes I like them in my head better than reality ( if that makes sense?!) My current fav is the mint hot chocolate, yummy! X
    Natalie recently posted…It’s the most wonderful time of the year…My Profile

21. Hayley @hayleyfromhome December 9, 2016 / 3:15 pm

I love, love, love hot chocolate! I can usually resist the coffee shop ones as I hate cherries so Black Forest not for me. I’m with you, I’m not much of a coffee drinker, always seems so much more festive to have a a hot choc too, if you can’t overload on sugar in December when can you? 😉
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Stories For Life – Books for ChildrenMy Profile

22. Baker January 10, 2017 / 9:14 am

There’s nothing like a cup of homemade hot cocoa. It is chocolately, creamy, and so easy! – Zomick’s
    Baker recently posted…Zomick’sMy Profile