My nearly 6 year old

My nearly 6 year old will officially become properly 6 next weekend and it means another year has flown by at lightning speed. He’s now in Year 1 and working his way through the Biff, Chip and Kipper range. As boring as they are, he really does enjoy their adventures and it took me a bit by surprise as it was like a little switch had gone off. Reception felt like a huge step and, at times, a struggle to get him into school week after week.

I’m so grateful it’s not like that this year, especially with me going back to work, but it’s a joy to seem him go in happily. There are definitely times when he goes in not so happily and it’s mostly towards the end of term, when things start getting a bit tiring. But then I think the teachers are mostly a bit drained by that point too. We’re going through a particularly emotional phase right now and he is trying to learn how to lose graciously. It’s not going too well right now and everyone else is a cheater, followed by distressed tears. As luck would have it, the secret life of 5 year olds is proving very helpful right now in watching other children lose too.

It’s almost time for his “activity” play and this year he is a solider that instructs Mary to go to Bethlehem to be counted. We keep encouraging him to pause for dramatic effect and project his line a bit more like Maximus from Gladiator. He keeps looking horrified at us and telling us how much trouble he’ll get into and we keep insisting it’ll go down a storm. I’m pretty sure he thinks we’re terrible pushy parents but I might give it one more go before this Tuesday’s performance. He is determined not to listen though.

He’s the lovely big brother who lets his baby brother push him about and pull his hair. We try to tell him it’s ok not to be like that all the time but I think he likes the protective role. I wonder if it’s a glimpse of their adult relationship; the big brother forever protecting the younger sibling. Some of it reminds me of my brothers and I and some of it takes me by surprise. The rough and tumble is never too much, thankfully. Not yet, anyway!

This year has been full of adventures for us all, in more ways than one, and I think we’ve created a child that is incapable of sitting indoors. Every day one of the first things he says is “how many things are we doing today?”. We’ve had to make everything sound super exciting and throw in things like “popping to the shops to buy bread” as an event. He’s not realised yet and we so we continue to have lots of trips, both big and small. I do look at him and realise how starkly different our childhoods were in comparison to his now. But I guess that happens with every generation. On our last trip we watched him get stronger with his swimming skills. He’s still unwilling to take his armbands off but I think we are nearly ready. Having never been regular swimmers it’s taken him a bit longer to get his confidence up, but we watch him slowly get better each time we’re in the pool. This time we let him go in the sea as it was shallow enough and he loved it. There’s no such thing as lounging by the pool on holidays now but it’s lovely to watch the boys splash about in the water and having fun.

img_8775

1. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) December 11, 2016 / 12:06 am

Well done to your little Z on getting stronger with his swimming; glad to hear he is enjoying school and loves getting outside and I hope he has a wonderful 6th birthday 🙂
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo 11/12/16My Profile

2. Tim December 11, 2016 / 12:11 am

Pools are a big part of our summer holidays now – both Kara and Toby cracked swimming this summer and it’s brilliant to see how much fun they have in the water.
    Tim recently posted…My Sunday Photo: ElfMy Profile

3. Emma T December 11, 2016 / 12:25 am

Sounds like Z’s getting on brilliantly at school. We’ve got Biff, Chip and Kipper too and like them – at least they’re stories, but annoyingly we have to do those, and then a different phonics book range Storyworlds which feel like they’re a level backwards, are dull and the 4 in every ‘set’ of the level are so repetitive. It must feel really tedious for the kids.

I’m loving the Gladiator style! It would certainly get some laughter from the audience. N’s play is next week, but he can’t remember his line because he’s been off sick most of this week, and it wasn’t sent home so he’s worried about that, and can’t remember the dance the shepherds do either. I’m just hoping they let him go over it with someone before they launch them in the dress rehearsal.

Hope the run up to the birthday is a good one and he has a lovely day.
    Emma T recently posted…Christmas at Blenheim Palace – light fantasticMy Profile

4. Emma Raphael December 11, 2016 / 7:37 am

Hope he has a wonderful birthday, he sounds like such a lovely big brother! I so wish I was on the beach in your photograph right now, it looks beautiful! 🙂
    Emma Raphael recently posted…Sunday Photo – Winter WonderlandMy Profile

5. Karen December 11, 2016 / 7:56 am

He’s getting so big and doing so well. Well done on his swimming. Hopefully the play will go ok!
    Karen recently posted…My Sunday Photo My Profile

6. Sarah MumofThree World December 11, 2016 / 8:22 am

It sounds like he is a nearly 6 year old to be proud of! I hope the emotional phase is short-lived. I can imagine Secret Life of Five Year Olds must be useful viewing, whereas for us it’s just hilarious! Good luck to him for the play on Tuesday! I think you’re fighting a losing battle with the pausing for dramatic effect thing.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 11.12.16My Profile

7. Sarah Christie December 11, 2016 / 11:03 am

Gorgeous photo Tas and you are so right about our kids, the boys are exactly the same always waiting for an adventure and I have created that. But I just love doing exciting things with them x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…A Walk Around EsslingenMy Profile

8. Tara December 11, 2016 / 11:12 am

Look at him go! What a fab pic. From what you’ve said it perfectly captures his personality 🙂
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Week 49My Profile

9. Andrea @Topsy Turvy Tribe December 11, 2016 / 11:27 am

Isn’t it wonderful seeing how much our (no longer) babies are progressing. I love the interaction between my boys too . My nearly 4 year old has only recently really started to want to play with his 2 year old younger brother and it makes my heart melt to see them get on so well! Such a lovely photo of him swimming, looks like he’s trying so hard and loving it! #mysundayphoto
    Andrea @Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…El Balcón del Coño, RondaMy Profile

10. A Patchwork Life December 11, 2016 / 7:51 pm

Learning to lose with grace is a biggie – my kids are nearly all in double figures now and it can still be a bit of an issue! Love ‘activity’ – never wanted to correct those little word mix-ups, they’re too sweet. Lovely, splashy photo 🙂
    A Patchwork Life recently posted…Morning rushMy Profile

11. LauraCYMFT December 11, 2016 / 7:59 pm

Biff and Chip are the devil LOL I hate those books and can’t wait until Charlotte is done with them. Gorgeous photo!
    LauraCYMFT recently posted…The Little HutMy Profile

12. Sara | mumturnedmom December 12, 2016 / 10:19 pm

Good luck for the play tomorrow, I’m sure he’ll be amazing! Lovely to see him getting more confident in the water, so important 🙂 Happy Birthday to him when it comes xx
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…The Prompt: Week 136My Profile

13. sherry MacKay December 14, 2016 / 2:54 am

that looks like a lot of fun. just the thing for our hot and steamy summer here at the moment.

14. Tracey Williams December 16, 2016 / 1:39 pm

Z has had such a fantastic year with all the amazing travels you have been on, and I love that popping to the shops is also an adventure. If only us mums thought that when we pop into Tesco lol. Sounds as if he is enjoying school, and gosh yes I remember good old Biff, Chip and Kipper. Hope he has a lovely 6th birthday x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Little loves – Afternoon Tea, Winter Wonderland and Feeling all FestiveMy Profile