Before we tuck in – Those food photos

IMG_9654

This is a usual sight for us (well, more my husband) when we go out to eat. There’s a whole bunch of photos with me concentrating on my phone, with my mouth wide open, before this one. Then I noticed when the other half was doing. I’m no photographer but I think I am obsessed with taking food photos whenever we go out somewhere. That’s just normal, right? We both like to eat but I’m one of *those* people, the one that has to take photos before we tuck in. It means no-one is allowed to touch it before I’m done. Little Z is used it now but the baby not so much. For now I sometimes catch a cute little fist trying to swipe something.

I’m mostly used to people at other tables rolling their eyes (or whatever) and hardly now care. I do try to be discrete about it but sometimes it takes time, doesn’t it? Especially if it’s not quite set right, or it’s a bit out of focus, or the light is bouncing straight off the shiny smooth cutlery.

Ideally, I think I’d love to just stand on the chair and do it from a greater height to get more empty space in but a) Restaurants probably frown on that and b) I’m not totally bonkers, yet. Still, completely normal. Right?

Photalife

1. Stevie January 21, 2017 / 8:18 pm

Ha I am forever doing this too and roping my boyfriend into it too. I’m immune to the funny looks now and so many people are on Instagram doing the same who aren’t even bloggers etc, that I think it is becoming the ‘norm’

Stevie x
    Stevie recently posted…Photos of Cornwall with Hot Pink WellingtonsMy Profile

2. Tim January 22, 2017 / 12:14 am

I still can’t bring myself to be this obvious, even though I see other people doing it! I’m still much more one for taking a sneaky shot when no one else is looking. Which probably explains why so many of my Instagram photos look so unprofessional … 🙂
    Tim recently posted…My Sunday Photo: Less a bitter pill, more a sweet tabletMy Profile

3. Coombemill January 22, 2017 / 12:22 am

I do this too, drives Nick mad, I think it’s a standard blogger thing, love the natural expression caught of you doing your thing!
    Coombemill recently posted…Cornish Daffodils and SnowdropsMy Profile

4. Chickenruby January 22, 2017 / 3:54 am

It’s not just reserved for bloggers, I take a very quick snap, my kids want the light right, they’ll stand up and away from and move round the table to get the right shot for snap chat and make us waist before we can start to eat

5. John Adams January 22, 2017 / 5:57 am

I hear where you’re coming from….it just isn’t usually food I take pictures of! I find the responses can be very different. Under 30: “Are you vlogging / blogging?” Over 30: silence and utter confusion. Hope you had a good meal.

6. Tara January 22, 2017 / 6:33 am

I dare you to get up on a chair for a good angle 🙂 I think if you enjoy taking photos of food then you should do it. It’s good you’re not bothered what other people think. I love that your husband snapped you in the act though.
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – January 22nd, 2017.My Profile

7. Sarah MumofThree World January 22, 2017 / 7:46 am

Ha ha, I love this photo! I rarely take photos of my food and when I do, they turn out a bit crap. This is obviously because I’m not standing up! I need to learn from you 🙂
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 22.1.17My Profile

8. Anne January 22, 2017 / 8:21 am

haha, I actually saw someone else do this the other day and it felt a bit weird watching them. I only do it if I’m already on a review, or have made a recipe at home. To be honest, my husband photograph’s his food much more often than me and he’s not a blogger! I hope it was as delicious as it looks when you got to tuck in.
    #MySundayPhoto

9. Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe January 22, 2017 / 8:33 am

Ha ha, my humor does this all the time but is usually to hungry to remember to do it straight away, has a few nibbles and suddenly stops everyone eating so he can get a good shot … annoying to say the least
    Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…Río Pesquera River WalkMy Profile

10. Martin Lee January 22, 2017 / 8:39 am

Love taking photos of good food…this looks amazing! #MySundayPoto

11. Erica Price January 22, 2017 / 10:48 am

I do this a lot too. Obviously sometimes I have to for reviews, but I find it really difficult to restrain myself if it isn’t a review meal. The instinct is there to snap away.
    Erica Price recently posted…2017: Week 3My Profile

12. shahnaz January 22, 2017 / 10:58 am

Totally normal, I drive my kids and husband crazy. Before the meal arrives guaranteed one of them will say “I bet your going to take a picture of your food”.
    shahnaz recently posted…SING #mysundayphotoMy Profile

13. jenny paulin January 22, 2017 / 6:36 pm

such a funny photo and so typical of so many of us bloggers and social media fans! food looks lovely though x
    jenny paulin recently posted…Project 365, 2017. Week 3My Profile

14. Debbie January 24, 2017 / 6:19 pm

And the verdict is…… I’m sorry but you are totally bonkers, just like the rest of us! I don’t take too many photos of food, but when I do I have been known to stand on a chair shouting instructions for the family to move plates, but that is only in the comfort of our own home. It’s probably only a matter of time, though.

xx
    Debbie recently posted…Slow Cooker Spinach Soup RecipeMy Profile

15. 76sunflowers January 27, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Haha this is so great and so glad I’m not the only one! My kiddos always chuckle at me at mealtimes – although my girl is now doing similar!
    76sunflowers recently posted…Project 365 2017 #3My Profile

16. Tracey Williams January 29, 2017 / 9:25 pm

I love this photo and who doesn’t want to take pictures when the food is so lovely. I have now trained my husband (and occasionally the kids) to stare lovingly at the food they are about to eat as I faff and photograph it. Even when I am not doing a restaurant review it has to be Instagrammed, right!! x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Little Loves – Illness, Work Experience and a Trampoline PartyMy Profile

17. Sara | mumturnedmom February 1, 2017 / 1:05 am

Ha! I always, always forget to take a photo before I start and then have to strategically move food around or cover the gaps with cutlery 🙂
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…The Prompt: Week 140My Profile

18. Mandi February 18, 2017 / 11:19 pm

Lol my husband is always sent off to higher places, when we are out at an attraction, people must think we are bonkers! The seven children now know not to touch anything that comes through the post until i’ve photographed it, or made them change three different outfits for different reviews!
    Mandi recently posted…Project 365 2017 Weeks 6 and 7My Profile