Chinese New Year and the Terracotta Army

When you book tickets to a show a whole year ago, its really easy to forget you did any such thing, so it came as a bit of a shock to us a couple of weeks back when we suddenly remembered we had tickets to it somewhere in the house. We had to carry out a mini ransack to find them and then off we went yesterday to see the show as well see all the vibrant Chinese new year celebrations in Manchester’s China town. It’s always so colourful and bustling that you have to weave your way in and out of the crowds following the dragon parade but it’s always really interesting to see.

Little Z had the best view as his dad lifted him up to get a good look. Being not so tall, I had a good view of a lot of heads. Shame he couldn’t lift me too and shame I didn’t think to put some heeled boots on. We actually missed the main dragon procession as we were running a bit late but, luckily, they have multiple dragon parades that dance their way through the streets and go into each of the shops. There was a brilliant atmosphere and it hit home what a brilliant place Manchester can be and how warm it all felt in the freezing cold. From seeing all the recent world and political events on the news, it made me realise how lucky we are to be living where we do and where so much is celebrated so proudly. Even the never ending rain didn’t feel so bad yesterday, and rain it did, pretty much non stop.

After a quick lunch of snacky street food (followed by chips for Z because “I don’t like this”) we made our way to see the Terracotta army in the corn exchange on our way to the MEN arena and they are were really worth stopping for. I’d read about them briefly on Sarah’s blog Extraordinary Chaos and thought we could spend a minute or so checking them out. There were originally commissioned for the Beijing Olympics and are now doing a little tour of the world with all the free time they have now that the Olympics are over. You could walk around each of the models in the display and even touch them (carefully!). They looked even better lit up in the evening and stand so resolutely and silently as they always do. There is even a pregnant Terracotta army lady, presumably able to go off on maternity leave soon, which I completely missed until Little Z dragged me to it and laughed his head off because he found her big tummy so funny. I think he’s forgotten that his mum looked like that last year. If you happen to be passing them whilst they’re on tour then you should definitely stop and admire them for a bit. You’ll be there for more than a minute and they’re really good to see close up. I’ve never seen the original Terracotta army but I was surprised to find, after a quick Google, that there is a Terracotta army museum in Dorchester, of all places. It’s the only museum outside of China that is dedicated to the Terracotta warriors. So I might have to check that out one day.

China town, Manchester, Chinese new year

Terracotta army, Beijing Terracotta Army,

Terracotta army, Beijing Terracotta Army,

Terracotta army, Beijing Terracotta Army,

DSC_0302

Extraordinary Chaos

• Notmyyearoff January 31, 2017 / 3:07 pm

I remember when they were in London and we ended up walking straight past them because we were so tired from lots of sight seeing. I completely regret that now. I need to see them one day 🙂
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Chinese New Year and the Terracotta ArmyMy Profile

1. Lolo January 30, 2017 / 12:41 pm

I never realized there was such a large Chinese community in Manchester, although I’ve never been so why would I? But, I think it’s pretty awesome you didn’t have to go to China to see the Terracotta warriors and a Chinese New Year celebration! #MondayEscapes
    Lolo recently posted…Why EVERYONE Should Visit Old Friends FarmMy Profile

2. ItalianBelly January 30, 2017 / 3:28 pm

I wonder when the original Terracotta warriors will be/were in Italy? Would love to see them too. Happy New Year!

3. Sarah MumofThree World January 31, 2017 / 9:25 am

Wow, it sounds like great fun and the photos are beautiful!
    Even at 5′ 6″ I often get a view of people’s heads! My husband doesn’t understand what it’s like not to be able to see stuff. I reckon with all the tall men in my house, I should always get picked up for a good view! 🙂
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Icy morning and Parkrun tourismMy Profile

4. Tania @ Larger Family Life January 31, 2017 / 11:51 am

I can’t remember where I put something five minutes ago so you did extremely well to find your tickets! Looks like the hunt was worth it though – looks like it was an amazing time. #MondayEscapes
    Tania @ Larger Family Life recently posted…Our Big Family Stay at Bluestone WalesMy Profile

5. Mini Travellers January 31, 2017 / 12:24 pm

I really wish we had booked tickets it looks absolutely brilliant, and the colours are wonderful aren’t they #MondayEscapes

6. Hayley @hayleyfromhome February 1, 2017 / 11:15 am

Some of the original Terracota Army are coming to Liverpool World Museum in 2018 I think, I already have it stuck in my head as I must go! Just in case you don’t make it to Dorchester before then. It all looks amazing, every year I say we should go into one of the cities for Chinese New Year but we never manage it – I love the way Manchester has decorated for it! The statues look amazing, such a great sight.
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…A Little Bit Lately #29My Profile

7. Hayley @hayleyfromhome February 1, 2017 / 11:17 am

Oh and your new blog design looks fab by the way!! Haha, I was meant to say that in my original comment, very fresh, I love it!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…A Little Bit Lately #29My Profile

8. Tracey Williams February 3, 2017 / 12:00 pm

Well done on being so organised a year ago and getting tickets. Love the pictures of the Terracotta Army, and can imagine they look stunning at night. What a lovely day out you all had x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Our travel plans for 2017My Profile

9. Emma February 4, 2017 / 7:29 pm

This looks brilliant. I would love to see the Terracotta Army. Love your pictures too