Baby E at 18 months old

We are very much treating Baby E as the stereotypical second child in our house. With Z, we knew sometimes to the day how old he was, what milestones he should be achieving, which ones he’d met and we tried to follow all the baby books when it came to routine. We’ve been a lot more “relaxed” with routine when its come to our second born. And by “relaxed” I think I could say that sometimes routine just flies straight out of the window. It’s meant that he’s a lot more adventurous and, with a 6 year old as a mentor, he is hitting some milestones a lot quicker than his elder brother. I had to count how old he was on my fingers today to know he’s almost a year and half. Eek!! And with that came a bit of panic about whether or not he’s hitting his milestones, if he is “where he should be” and then telling myself not to read all the various baby update emails that baby companies send out.

He’s taking his time with his words and I can’t actually remember what Z was like at this age but I think I remember he took his time too, so I’m not panicking too much just yet at his collection of approximately 10 words. I think we will bombard him with many more flash cards over the next month or so.  He has no problem in communicating or understanding what we tell him so it’s been lovely to have one more little person that can shut the door.  Bit mean, but it works a treat on these very cold days.

Physically he is a little hurricane when he wants to be.  He can climb and throw himself off things fearlessly.  Our reflexes are sharpening up quick smart when it comes to catching him but that just spurs him even more as he laughs his head off that we caught him in time.  The other day we had left the gates open first thing in the morning and left him snoozing on our bed whilst Z got ready for school.  About 15 minutes later he toddled into the living room, somehow managing to come down the entire flight of stairs by himself.  Those gates will now never be forgotten about.

One of his favourite things to do was to eat but the course of constant teething is putting him off most things.  Hopefully he’ll get his appetite back soon and stops making a beeline for our crisps and biscuits.

This photo sums him up right now, with his thick hair and with a “what shall i do next” kind of look on his face.

Photalife

1. Farmerswifeandmummy February 11, 2017 / 8:16 pm

How can he be 18 months old? He is absolutely gorgeous:) I sometimes think it is 2 when language explodes so I wouldn’t worry. He looks as bright as a button and, if he’s anything like George, I imagine the fact he is so adventurous takes all of his effort xx

2. Nikki Thomas February 11, 2017 / 9:16 pm

It feels as though 18 months has flown by, he has grow so much!! He is so gorgeous though and I can completely understand the differences with a second child, I think younger siblings have to fit into a routine that is already there but that isn’t such a bad thing.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…School Morning Survival Tips for Busy ParentsMy Profile

3. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) February 12, 2017 / 12:03 am

Wow 18 months old already! That’s gone by very quickly. I can imagine what a shock it must have been when he appeared in the living room! He certainly sounds determined to get around! 🙂
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo 12/02/17My Profile

4. Tim February 12, 2017 / 12:10 am

Oh my God, he’s 18 months already?!? We had the same dynamic with our boys. Isaac was the cautious responsible one, while Toby was the nutter. I’m sure this was a product of us being more relaxed second time around, plus having an older sibling to emulate. It makes for an interesting contrast between siblings, doesn’t it?
    Tim recently posted…My Sunday Photo: And for my next trick …My Profile

5. Martyn Kitney February 12, 2017 / 12:12 am

Very cute. The youngest always seems to steam ahead especially like you say when they have a great mentor. Its all so quick though but so much adventure to have! #mysundayphoto
    Martyn Kitney recently posted…My Sunday Photo 12/02/17My Profile

6. Coombemill February 12, 2017 / 12:14 am

The baby face is definitely gone and you have a real little boy here now. What a handsome chap he is.
    Coombemill recently posted…Happy Birthday Farmer NickMy Profile

7. Neesie February 12, 2017 / 12:25 am

Oh such a little cutie and 18 months already! Wow.
    My second child had an older sibling and I think it makes a huge difference having someone to emulate. Fun times ahead 😀
    Neesie recently posted…My Sunday Photo… Agapanthus Birthday GirlMy Profile

8. Bear and Cardigan February 12, 2017 / 12:38 am

I think you are right that the second is allowed to flourish at their own pace whilst we spurred the first one on. They also pick up so much from their older siblings #MySundayPhoto
    Bear and Cardigan recently posted…#MySundayPhoto Number 7My Profile

9. John Adams February 12, 2017 / 6:05 am

Good grief, 18 months old. Time flies hey? The second child can hit those milestones much quicker. Interestingly, our ledest was quick to talk and do non physical things while our youngest was the reverse. He’s looking very grown up in that picture.
    John Adams recently posted…Bottle rocket blast offMy Profile

10. Debbie February 12, 2017 / 6:24 am

Hi Tas, my daughter was ‘victim’ to second baby syndrome, which has ended up with very few photographs of her compared to her brother. Not that I took many of him either. I am glad my two were young before the internet became a thing, I would not have been able to cope. As it was my son was so far behind my daughter overtook him as around the age of one.

I would like to add that we were also ‘victims’ of second baby syndrome. Our daughter was forward, quick and determined from a very young age, something I am glad she has never lost.

#MySundayPhoto
    Debbie recently posted…Wet And Wild NarcissiMy Profile

11. natalie February 12, 2017 / 8:06 am

Oh gosh Tas he looks so grown up I can’t believe it. Where does the time go – please slow down. I feel like I have really watched E grow and flourish since he was a baby and it has been lovely. He is gorgeous.

My eldest Meme is the sensible one whilst Harri is a little bit of a whirlwind – this seems to be a pattern with the second born child!

12. Sharon Powell February 12, 2017 / 9:01 am

How beautiful is he?! Can’t believe he’s 18 months already. It’s always different with a second child x #mysundayphoto
    Sharon Powell recently posted…Silent Sunday My Profile

13. Andrea @Topsy Turvy Tribe February 12, 2017 / 9:26 am

We have a similar second child approach with out two boys, although they are much closer in age. 18 months is such a lovely age when they begin to communicate so much more and their personalities expand in bucket loads. Enjoy! #mysundayphoto
    Andrea @Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…Señora GatoMy Profile

14. chickenruby February 12, 2017 / 4:48 pm

oh my word, he is such a handsome boy, but you really must stop feeding him, I can’t believe how fast the past 18 months have gone by. I think we first met when you were coming towards the end of your pregnancy
    chickenruby recently posted…111 My Sunday Photo – V is for ValentineMy Profile

15. clairejustine February 12, 2017 / 4:49 pm

Aww 18 months already!! Such a lovely picture 🙂

16. Sarah Christie February 12, 2017 / 9:35 pm

I cant believe how he is growing, and is adorable. I think Joe was a little later speaking than Jack, purely because Joe relied on Jack to speak for him so didn’t need to bother x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…A Country Walk And Embracing The SunshineMy Profile

17. RachelSwirl February 14, 2017 / 12:08 am

wow time flies, eighteen months already!!! Such a cute pic x

18. Erica Price February 16, 2017 / 3:00 pm

Hasn’t that 18 months just flown by? He looks very much the toddler these days.
    Erica Price recently posted…2017: Week 6My Profile

19. jenny paulin February 18, 2017 / 9:49 am

he its so cute and how is he 18 months already? Poor Jenson missed out on a lot of milestone blog posts and photos etc being the second child – I never wanted it to be that way with him, but it has ooooops! x
    jenny paulin recently posted…Project 365 2017. Week 6My Profile

20. Hayley @hayleyfromhome February 20, 2017 / 9:59 am

He’s adorable Tas, those 18 months have just flown by! He is already starting to look very grown up, I think my twins seemed to come on quicker as they were chasing big brother around and I definitely took the milestones things much more in my stride. I have a friend now who has a five month old and she keeps asking me, shouldn’t he by doing this now? I haven’t the heart to tell her it really doesn’t matter too much, I’ll wait till she has another 🙂
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Spicy Dahl and Jacket Potato with McCainMy Profile

21. Karen Hannah March 1, 2017 / 10:13 am

Oh I just love his gorgeous face! I was definitely like this with my second, and now Eric is here I’m barely aware of what he ‘should’ be doing and just enjoying the here and now. Also, I’m shocked it’s been six months since we saw you – looking forward to Monday! #ShareFriday (yeah – the Sahre Friday from the Friday before last haha)