Seeing the smallest house in Great Britain

We were all meant to have a nice family trip to Wales this week to see the lovely castles and the beautiful coast.  As luck would have it, we ended up having a rare couples day out and ended up enjoying the sights of Conwy and Llandudno.  It was really blustery and rained all day but the perfect place to snap away and take hundreds of photos of pretty sights and buildings.

One of the things we came across was this teeny tiny house.  It’s the smallest house in Great Britain with only one room downstairs and a room upstairs and is listed in the Guinness book of records.  Apparently a 6ft 3 fisherman called Robert Jones was the last person to live in it till the 1900s when the council deemed it unfit for residence.  It’s still owned by the Jones family today and you can see the inside for £1.  Sadly it’s not open till March when season starts so we could only peer into the window from the outside.   It only takes a few minutes to see it all but if you happen to be visiting Conwy then you should definitely pop by!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:23 pm

It really was, even despite all the wind and rain. Probably looks stunning in the summer!

1. Anne February 18, 2017 / 10:10 pm

What a find! I bet they don’t get many people at a time in there, it’s so tiny. It’s ironic to think someone so tall lived there, you would imagine it being the home of a dwarf!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:24 pm

It is SO small it’s a wonder such a tall fisherman managed to live in it. The council must have thought it wasnt great for him though!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:25 pm

You should definitely go one one day when you’re in Wales. I think it may be a couple of hours from where you are!

2. Fee Shaw February 18, 2017 / 11:37 pm

I LOVE that a 6ft 3 fisherman use to live there! #project365

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:26 pm

I know. HOW tall. I’m 5 foot and I reckon it would have just about been cosey for me in there…and probably still a bit claustrophobic.

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:28 pm

I wonder if he was just crouched in there as soon as he entered. I’m thinking his bed must not have been big enough for him either.

3. Tim February 19, 2017 / 12:17 am

Very cool! How ironic as well that the last resident of the smallest house in the country was a strapping 6’3″ – unusually tall for that period. I won’t complain about our house not being big enough again …
    Tim recently posted…My Sunday Photo: What are little girls made of?My Profile

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Crazy tall isn’t it? I’m now trying to picture which one of my friends is 6′ 3!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:42 pm

I really wish we’d gone a week later but I had no idea all these places are shut till then. Kinda logical really isn’t it?

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:43 pm

SO tiny and there’s actually not that much to see…but I’m glad we popped by to pose next to it 🙂

4. Debbie February 19, 2017 / 5:43 am

Hi Tas, what a quaint little house. I bet Robert Jones had a few bumps on his head by the time he moved out.

xx
    Debbie recently posted…The Only Way Was UpMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:44 pm

He probably had a very good stretch once he moved into his new place I bet

5. Brooke Neal February 19, 2017 / 5:55 am

Very fun! Maybe I’ll put that on my list of things to visit when we are in the UK this summer.

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:44 pm

Oh definitely do. Caernarfon castle is not too far away from there so you could pop in to see that too!

6. Tara February 19, 2017 / 6:49 am

Hah! I though our house was small but this is amazing. I’d love to go inside, although I don’t suppose a tour would take long 🙂 #MySundayPhoto
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – February 19th, 2017.My Profile

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:45 pm

I’m thinking people must be in there for about 3 ‘minutes flat to see it all. One day I’ll have to go back to see the inside!

7. Sarah MumofThree World February 19, 2017 / 7:46 am

It looks amazing! I love that even you nearly reach the top of the front door. Goodness knows how the 6′ 3″ fisherman coped!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 19.2.17My Profile

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 12:46 pm

It’s just so tiny isn’t it? I was tempted to tiptoe a bit but then all my friends know how tall I am 🙂

8. Mandi February 19, 2017 / 7:50 am

Sounds like a lovely couples day! Love that house, I used to think my husband at 6ft was too big for our first terraced house, my mum used to joke that he took up the entire front room!
    Mandi recently posted…Project 365 2017 Weeks 6 and 7My Profile

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:15 pm

Haha mine is 5 11 and we have low ceilings downstairs and he always looks too tall for it!

9. Martin February 19, 2017 / 8:35 am

I’ve been there! Love it…so small but has everything going you could need! Great photo #MySundayPhoto

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:16 pm

Such a cool little place isn’t it? It’s like someone saw the tiny gap and must have thought it would make a nice cottage for a tiny person.

10. Andrea @Topsy Turvy Tribe February 19, 2017 / 9:41 am

Yes, we’ve been there! Isn’t it amazing that such a tall guy used to live in such a tiny space, our boys thought the place was more their size and both wanted to move in!
    Andrea @Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…Sierra de LojaMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:17 pm

Haha I can imagine it’s like a huge play house for little kids. I’d love to pop by one day in the summer and see the inside of it. Maybe when we go to carnaerforn!

11. Rachel @ Coffee, Cake, Kids February 19, 2017 / 10:07 am

We live about ten minutes from here, it’s a fascinating little place to go to! #mysundayphoto

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:18 pm

You live in a gorgeous part of the country. I’m definitely going to come back one day to see it inside 🙂

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:19 pm

Me too. I’ve had a look on google and Pinterest and it’s very cute. Amazing how such a tall man lived there though!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:20 pm

Me too. I think we were about two weeks off it opening again in season. Will have to go back!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:20 pm

Im not sure I could do that. I’m finding it hard in our tiny 3 bed as it is!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:21 pm

We didn’t know it was there until our friends reminded us not to miss it. Glad they pointed it out!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:21 pm

HAha yes, and a bad back from bending over so much I’m guessing!

12. Emma Raphael February 19, 2017 / 8:54 pm

Wow, I would love to see inside! I wonder how much furniture you could fit in! Great shot! 😀 x #mysundayphoto

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:22 pm

I’m guessing very very minimal furniture. I’d miss a big comfy couch 🙂

13. Mummy on a Budget February 19, 2017 / 9:10 pm

Crikey! That is tiny. Wouldn’t need much furniture! #mysundayphoto

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:23 pm

I’m guessing a couple of chairs and a bed upstairs, probably no space for much else!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:24 pm

You should. It’s not far from us and we still rarely go. Going abroad for sun always seems to win!

14. natalie February 19, 2017 / 10:06 pm

Ah loved this picture on Insta. We love Wales and go all the time. Llandudno is definitely one of our favourite places!
    natalie recently posted…The days we will rememberMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Llandudno is so pretty. I never realised how much quaint history it’s preserved. We’ll definitely take the boys there one day!

15. Mackay Sherry February 20, 2017 / 1:07 am

What a cute house. So adorable. I wonder how such a tall chap managed to live there:)?

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Would have been great to have seen a photo of him next to it. It’s seriously a tiny place.

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:26 pm

Really do pop in. I think it’s only about a pound to have a look and 50p for little ones!

16. chickenruby February 20, 2017 / 9:11 am

shame you couldn’t go inside, but i can’t imagine there’s much room in there

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:27 pm

From what I’ve read, they only let two in at a time. The fisherman mustn’t have had a lot of visitors!

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Llandudno is pretty isn’t it? It was our first time there but we didn’t have much time so only went up the Great Orme. Will have to go back and do the pier.

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:29 pm

It’s definitely worth popping in if you happen to be in Conwy. There’s not that much to see but it’s quirky!

17. Jo Laybourn February 20, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Love it! I bet it’s so cosy inside. You look great by the way! x

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Ah thank you Jo! I have tartare sauce on my hat there and didn’t even realise till I looked at the photo 🙂

18. Sarah Christie February 20, 2017 / 10:04 pm

Aw that look so sweet, can you imagining living in it xx

• Notmyyearoff March 5, 2017 / 1:30 pm

It’s a lovely little place. Not much to do but the harbours very pretty too!

19. maria | tilecentre March 1, 2017 / 10:00 am

How cute…..!!!It’s remind me the little hut of snow-white….