A walk round beautiful Edinburgh

Whenever we visit Scotland our favourite place and base is always Edinburgh. There is just so much to do there for families and children and you can spend a good few days just wandering about and discovering different areas. This time was a bit different though. We were going to be spending most of our time in Argyll but needed a bit of a pitstop for one night and the choice was between Glasgow or Edinburgh. Our intention for our roadtrip was to spend one night in the city and then head over to Loch Awe where we were going to base ourselves for 3 days, making trips to Oban, Mull, Glencoe and surrounding lochs and castles. It was a bit of a rough agenda but when you’re driving about Scotland there is always a loch or castle you will pass and it kind of carries you away.

Edinburgh won in the end, mainly as we know where to go and what to do (and where to eat!) and we found a last minute hotel in the Lauriston area, which is a short walk from Grassmarket. We normally stay on the very modern Princes street where you’re a stones throw from all the high street shops and restaurants and you can ease yourself into the old city if you’re finding it all a bit daunting. This time was a bit different. We were a stones throw from quirky, unique and local places. Its a bustling area with a brilliant atmosphere and I loved walking about in the quiet in the early morning watching the big vans do their early deliveries.

I don’t think you can ever get bored of the old town and you tend to keep finding new things to look at and reasons to go back. I love admiring the old buildings so much and I have said this many a time, but its like an amazing architecht took good time to design such a stunning place that was not just beautiful but built well enough to still stand and function today. Some of it dates back to the 1400s and some of it pre-dates even that.

If you happen to be a first time visitor then one of the big things you notice about the Old town is the sheer number of staircases they have. They are just everywhere and they are old and they are steep. They connect the uneven layers of the city together and provide little shortcuts as long as you know which ones to use. I used to think it was a nightmare with a buggy but we accepted it would be our only way to navigate about so got used to doing a 2 person lift up and down and would be a bit tired by the end of the day. My first post about Edinburgh a few years ago is filled with photos of staircases and alleyways. This time we discovered something BIG! You can make your way around the whole of the old city without using the stairs. This blew my mind slightly as I had never realised this was possible. But it was a refreshing change to not have to lug a stroller with a toddler in it up and down everywhere.

We managed to make a trip to one of our favourite restaurants there. Its a middle eastern place about halfway up the royal mile called Hanams. The decor is all very middle eastern and you will spend a while gazing at all the colourful art work on the walls and then a bit more time wondering what kind of things to order from the menu. Its all kebabs ad grills served with salads and rice and we always have to ask them for advice as everything always looks good. They are so kid friendly and the food is delicious so its always a nice and safe choice for us. And as its the smallest world ever, I spent a bit of time wondering why the couple seated on the next table looked so familiar. It was about 30 seconds after we left when it hit me that they were friends of my cousin and we had all been at the same wedding together a couple of years ago.

We had plans to visit St Giles cathedral but we needed to leave early and it wasn’t going to open until 9am for the Good Friday service so we ended up giving it a miss on this occasion as we had a long drive ahead of us to Loch Awe through Loch Lomond. Obviously that means we have to go back soon but its meant to be a stunning place so definitely a place to consider if you happen to be in the city.

Here are just some of our photos of our short evening and morning in lovely Edinburgh….

Edinburgh old townEdinburgh old townEdinburgh old town

Edinburgh old town

Mini Travellers
Wander Mum

1. Lolo April 24, 2017 / 8:33 am

I remember visiting Edinburgh as a young teen, but don’t actually remember much! I’d love to go back and see it again! A rough itineraries always make for the most exciting trips because you never know what you will find and you’re not stressed for time! #MondayEscapes

2. Anna April 24, 2017 / 9:44 am

I’ve visited Edinburgh on a couple of occassions and loved it! My favorite place has to be Calton Hill, for the view! During my last visit I discovered Dean village which I found very picturesque! #mondayescapes

3. Sol Solntze April 24, 2017 / 11:24 am

Edinburgh really is a lovely city. I even like the way it is on different levels! But I know what you mean about it seeming like it’s all stairs when you have a buggy or small children to drag up and down. Somewhere there is a staircase with each step made from a different stone, which almost makes it worth it though!

4. Sarah MumofThree World April 24, 2017 / 1:40 pm

Every time I read one of your Edinburgh posts and see your lovely photos I think we really should visit! The buildings looks so beautiful. I’m glad you managed to get around without using the steps this time!
    Love that happy photo of you and Z.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Parkrun: Four PBs in a rowMy Profile

5. Susan Mann April 24, 2017 / 5:06 pm

Edinburgh is such a wonderful city. I only live about an hour away and I feel like I am on holiday every time I go. Unless I’m working there. I am there at the beginning of May and it’s a place you can never tire of. It’s steeped in history and the building are breathtaking. Looks like you all had a wonderful time xx

6. Tracey Williams April 24, 2017 / 5:31 pm

I just love your enthusiasm and love for this city Tas, and everytime I read one of your posts I think we are DEFINITELY going. I will certainly be coming to you for lots of advice about hotels and restaurants. I loved following you on your road trip into Scotland, and your pictures are gorgeous x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Our 2nd visit to Ikos OliviaMy Profile

7. emy April 24, 2017 / 5:34 pm

The Edinburgh photos are really beautiful and I really appreciate you in managing without steps this time

8. jo April 24, 2017 / 6:03 pm

We love Edinburgh too – always plenty to discover as well as the old favourites. You all look like you’re having a brilliant time! #MondayEscapes

9. Jane @ Raincity Librarian April 24, 2017 / 6:21 pm

So much history! I love those old cobbled streets, and the colourful shop fronts. I live in a very young, very modern city, and we rarely have any buildings that are even 100 years old, so I’m always stunned by all the old, historic buildings that fill European cities!

10. otisandus April 24, 2017 / 9:11 pm

You have captured some really lovely images! We have just returned form Edinburgh too, I can’t get enough of the City, I absolutely love it it is beautiful. Looks like you had a great time! #MondayEscapes

11. Hayley @hayleyfromhome April 24, 2017 / 9:49 pm

I love that first photo of you and Z…his grin!! Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities too, you’re right there is just so much to see and I love how it’s all a bit higgildy piggildy. Well done on finding a way to avoid the stairs, haha, must have made it a little easier this time 🙂
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Books I’ve Read Lately #2My Profile

12. Mini Travellers April 24, 2017 / 11:12 pm

I haven’t been to Edinburgh as an adult and can;t quite believe that really. I definitely need to spend some more time in scotland, its undiscovered to me and the kids. Thanks for linking up to #MondayEscapes.

13. Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe April 25, 2017 / 11:57 am

Ah what lovely family photos and some great ones of Edinburgh too. I’ve only been once at Hogmany and really lover walking up to Arthur’s seat. It sounds like great city to visit with kids #citytripping

14. Elizabeth (Wander Mum) April 25, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Love your photos! It’s been ages since I’ve been to Edinburgh but loved it when we went as a couple. Didn’t notice the steps situation (funny the things that only become clear post kids). Well done for finding a way of avoiding them…you need to do a route plan for that. Thanks for linking #citytripping
    Elizabeth (Wander Mum) recently posted…City Tripping #73My Profile

15. Jo Addison April 25, 2017 / 1:30 pm

I’ve only ever been to Edinburgh once, but I’d love to go back. Lovely photos. #mondayescapes

16. tots2travel April 25, 2017 / 4:40 pm

I love the colour of the grass market, the vantage point of the castle and parkland right in the city centre for all to enjoy. Great city for a wee wander.
    tots2travel recently posted…Ballindalloch Castle, MorayshireMy Profile

17. Sarah Christie April 25, 2017 / 9:30 pm

Tas such amazing photos, I can believe you saw someone you knew, small world ! We need to go back to Edinburgh those building are just incredible they seem to go on forever x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…A Great Little Chocolate Brownie RecipeMy Profile

18. Travelling With Our Kids May 3, 2017 / 9:58 pm

We live not to far from Edinburgh and we have hardly explored the city. We really need to go be tourists for a day and do some exploring as it is such a great city. Great photos #MondayEscapes