Almost the summer holidays

My last post was about spending all our times at fun fairs and we’ve pretty much done the same this last week. There was the college one we *had* to go to as the nephew goes there. Then there was the community one for various good causes and then there was the one for the local cricket club. I’m pretty sure the boys now think every weekend should consist of sitting on a toy bus and ding the bell non stop. We, on the other hand, have enjoyed sitting a lot on the grass and eating a lot of BBQ food and candy floss. I’m not quite sure why they’ve all come at once given that there is a massively long summer holiday coming up but it was very enjoyable so we can’t complain.

It’s around now where I’ve noticed the big changes in the boys. I think it’s when you compare what they were both like at the start of school year and a whole academic year on. The baby is now a babbling toddler and forever hunting for something new to climb or shake. He has a love of duplo and for throwing himself at his big brother. His big brother seems to have shot up over the last couple of months and is verging on tweendom already. He now reads his own menu in restaurants and has cheeky comebacks a plenty even when it doesn’t concern him. He’s as patient as ever with his little hurricane of a brother which is lucky for me when it comes to all the daily refereeing. The summer holidays are going to be interesting.

And speaking of massively long summer holidays, we have one more full week of school to go and we are so ready for some lie ins. We have no plans for the summer and we’ve spent the weekend throwing around ideas and wondering what to do and when to best do it all. We will come up with something and we’ve got some very very vague plans now, so it’s sort of a start. We’ve got to balance busy periods of work in between all of that so it’s going to be a bit of a challenge. But about 60% of parenting seems to be about juggling doesn’t it?

1. Emma T July 15, 2017 / 9:48 pm

It is amazing how at 6yo it’s a massive growth spurt, with them changing from little boy to bigger boy. We’ve only got our camping trip sorted, I’ve another 2 weeks to fill with plans and the rest N will be on the farm with his dad.
    Emma T recently posted…Project 365 2017 week 27 and 28My Profile

2. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) July 16, 2017 / 12:04 am

I love that photo of Z on the bungee trampoline. It’s always at this time of year too that I realise how quickly my girls are growing up. Hope you enjoy your summer holidays.

3. Alan Herbert July 16, 2017 / 12:10 am

We’ve our holiday over and done with and have no plans for the rest of summer.

It always makes for some great spur of the minute day trips.

Certainly looks like the fun fairs were a big hit.

#mysundayphoto
    Alan Herbert recently posted…Messing about on the lake.My Profile

4. Neesie July 16, 2017 / 12:41 am

Just look at that blue sky! Oh how I wish we had blue sky like that.
    It looks like you had a great time and I have always wanted a go on one of those bungee trampolines. It looks like so much fun! 😀
    Neesie recently posted…My Sunday Photo… Neesie On AssignmentMy Profile

5. Jeanna July 16, 2017 / 1:33 am

That’s what’s summer is all about if you can keep up with it all. I love it, but sometimes need a break from all the fun. It looks like you had a lot of that. Interesting trampoline ride, I don’t think I’ve seen one.

6. Debbie Roberts July 16, 2017 / 5:45 am

Hi Tas, fun events are a bit like buses; none for months and then they all happen together! I was sort of lucky that when the children were young I didn’t go out to work, but the summer holidays made me question my sanity for staying home. The school year is an excellent way of monitoring a child’s development, although it can be a little scary.

Now my children are no longer children and I am working, I have found these summer holidays to be very testing. I have to dig my heels in every now and again and say ‘no’, just to find a balance for myself and the rest of the time passes in a daze.

I hope your boys have an excellent summer holiday and that all parents come through the other end with their sanity intact!

xx
    Debbie Roberts recently posted…Dogs Go A LizardingMy Profile

7. John Adams July 16, 2017 / 5:52 am

Oh yes, preparing for the summer break, I’m writing about that very subject later next week! Hope it goes smoothly for you. Loving the trampoline pic. Very well framed and he looks so happy. #MySundayPhoto
    John Adams recently posted…Our adopted scarecrow childrenMy Profile

8. Sarah MumofThree World July 16, 2017 / 8:17 am

Lovely photos! We’re all ready for the school holidays too, apart from the bit that means my daughter is leaving primary school! 🙁
    Z really does look very grown up now. It is strange when they first start reading things like menus.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 16.7.17My Profile

9. darren coleshill July 16, 2017 / 8:21 am

My girls are really looking forward to the Summer holidays, we’ve a small holiday in Wales coming up and then just a few days out

10. Erica Price July 16, 2017 / 8:54 am

Tweendom comes on all too fast I think. We have been there for some time. Sometimes I miss my sweet little boy, but also love the cheekiness of the current stage. Looks like you have a good summer in prospect between the two of them.
    Erica Price recently posted…2017: Week 28My Profile

11. annette @ A French Collection July 17, 2017 / 11:06 am

Trampolining looks such fun – enjoy the holidays. Our winter holidays are about to finish next week with everyone returning to term 3 of 4. We are counting down the school weeks till we are back in France at Christmas time … can’t wait. I wish you wonderful holidays with your children 🙂 Annette #MySundayPhoto

12. Susan Mann July 17, 2017 / 5:31 pm

Looks like you are having a great time with the weather. I hope you have a brilliant time over the summer holidays and the boys are on the mend xx

13. Elaine Livingstone July 17, 2017 / 9:29 pm

amazing how one always needs to do what the other does. I agree they do seem to change quickly and then remain the same for a while.
    The compromise sounds good, they ring bells and you relax on the grass
    I often think it is best not to make too many plans as it usually rains on the days we plan things.

14. Sara | mumturnedmom July 21, 2017 / 3:05 pm

You have been to a lot of fairs recently! Have a wonderful summer! One of my favourite things about summer break is not having too many plans and being able to take things as they come 🙂
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…The Prompt: SummerMy Profile

15. Martyn Kitney July 22, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Looks like lots of fun. It’s weird for us as we don’t overly have a set summer holidays like many but I’m sure there will be lots of fun. Wonderful photo! Look forward to seeing tomorrow’s photo! 🙂 #mysundayphoto
    Martyn Kitney recently posted…My Sunday Photo 23/07/17My Profile

16. Nikki Thomas July 22, 2017 / 7:42 pm

Yes juggling pretty much sums it up well. I am always juggling. Z does look so grown up now, he has really changed this year, he is growing up fast! It is amazing how much they change after a couple of years at school. I hope you have a fabulous summer xx
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Top Tips for Keeping Kids Hydrated This SummerMy Profile

17. Karen July 23, 2017 / 11:40 am

I think having a loose plan but going with the flow is kind of how we roll! Sounds like a great week!
    Karen recently posted…My Sunday Photo My Profile