School fairs and the big fields

I confess, I really don’t like school fairs one bit. There’s always too many adults and children in a confined space all rushing to get to that teeny tiny bouncy castle or that hook a duck thing which is surround by countless other kids. Little Z loves it though and he’s now old enough to know exactly what date and time it’ll be. AND there’s two to go to. As well as the annual charity race and the sports day. There’s a mental amount of juggling work and kids in these last few weeks of school. So we did what any good couple of parents would do and bicker about it for a while about who should take him. In the end, we compromised and agreed that Daddy should do all the charity runs (mainly as I can’t really run too far, plus it looked like rain) and I would do the dreaded school fair.

As luck would have it, the sun came out and the school held it all outside on lovely open fields and on their massive playground. There was no pushing or shoving, people looked happy and non wrestler like, and the bouncy castle was big and spacious. It was actually a really lovely couple of events and the very big fields gave a really good space for mad toddlers to run about on. Z got a shiny medal for running in the Race for life (and then “dab’d”. A lot!) and Sports day got postponed due to rain. But it’s been a fun but crazy week for juggling kiddie things and work and I am looking forward to some downtime from school soon. We now know what class Z will go into next year and I think my biggest proud mummy moment is discovering that Z loves to read. He’s come so far in one year and it always amazes me to see where they’ve started in September and how they’ve progressed to the end of year.

I used to wonder whether a childhood in such a quiet town would be good for little ones. Everywhere is a car journey away and it’s not that hip and happening. The older the kids get the more I like big parks and big fields. There’s quite a lot of them and the boys love it. All they want to do is run. And run. And run. And we can perch ourselves at one end of it and just watch. Now if the sun could come out properly here for the summer then I think we might be sorted for entertainment.

The Ordinary Moments

1. Kim Carberry July 8, 2017 / 7:44 pm

It sounds like you have been having a lovely time…
    I am not keen on school fairs either….They’re expensive too. hehehe
    It sounds like Z is doing really well at school. You must be very proud….I love that photo of him dabbing. x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…A photo everyday for a year – Week 27 #Project365My Profile

2. Angela July 8, 2017 / 7:45 pm

Well done Z for running and receiving a medal. I sneezed the other day and pulled my arm up, the children I work with shouted ‘Miss Wright is Dabbing’ lol
    We love a bit of green space too, I just love sitting down and watching the children run off some speed (hoping to tire them out- never works though)
    It’s great that you have so much of the green stuff around you, we have lots of concrete!
    Enjoy x

3. Sarah MumofThree World July 8, 2017 / 10:44 pm

Love the picture of Z dabbing and glad the school fair wasn’t too bad! I quite like the school fair. As a kid, it was literally one of the best days of the year! That was the 80s and life was much simpler then! Plus my mum and dad ran the plant stall and had to take the plants into school the evening before. There’s something very cool about being in school in the evening when no other kids are around!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Project 365 2017 Week 27My Profile

4. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) July 9, 2017 / 12:03 am

Having lots of green space is fabulous for kids – how lovely to just be able to get out and enjoy running about and have the space to do so. Glad that Little Z has got on so well at school this year and that the school fayre went well 🙂
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…My Sunday Photo 09/07/17My Profile

5. Baby Isabella July 9, 2017 / 12:04 am

What a beautiful day! Love the sky and the fluffy clouds x My mummy used to love school fairs especially the cake stalls 😉 #MySundayPhoto
    Baby Isabella recently posted…Silent Sunday 09.07.17My Profile

6. Tracey Abrahams July 9, 2017 / 12:07 am

Im not a massive fan of fairs too. Our local carnival was today, but I avoided going to the main field and just watched the procession instead. #mysundayphoto
    Tracey Abrahams recently posted…Steampunk Extraordinarium 2017My Profile

7. Tim July 9, 2017 / 12:13 am

Glad ti hear Z’s doing well and enjoying it. I know what you mean about this time of year – with our three it’s a never-ending succession of reports, fetes, concerts, end-of-year assemblies and letters. It just never ends.

8. Neesie July 9, 2017 / 12:13 am

Great shot of fun outdoors. I think there’s nothing better. I’ve never been a fan of fairs either.
    This is the first time I’ve actually found out that that move is called Dabbing, so thank you for enlightening me 😀
    Have a great Sunday
    Neesie recently posted…My Sunday Photo…Hen NightMy Profile

9. tracey at Mummyshire July 9, 2017 / 1:14 am

Oh yes, I can sooo empathise with the end of year cramming of charity events and school fetes in the run up to end of school
    So glad the fete was outside (our school does that & summer and it’s much better) and it was slightly less of a scrum this year!
    Great Dab !

10. Debbie Roberts July 9, 2017 / 5:13 am

Hi Tas, just thinking about those dreaded school events makes my toes curl and I no longer have to do them! Growing up in the countryside does have it’s pro’s and con’s, island living can be very much the same especially during the winter.My main concern is my daughter not being as street wise as she should be when she goes to study on the mainland next year. It looks like you have a budding Bolt on your hands!

xx
    Debbie Roberts recently posted…Wild Tortoise In GreeceMy Profile

11. Imperfect Mum July 9, 2017 / 8:09 am

Your shots are beautiful! So much space and those blue skies wow! I am a teacher & i will never lose the excitement of seeing a child progress in reading its fab! #Mysundayphoto I host #PointShoot on Tuesdays to Friday this post is great if you have time to add it we’d love you to join it’s a lovely little community
    Imperfect Mum recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

12. Erica Price July 9, 2017 / 8:37 am

Glad the school fair wasn’t too bad. Ours was yesterday, but H didn’t want to go so I didn’t force him (I was happy to get out of it too). Well done on the reading Z.
    Erica Price recently posted…2017: Week 27My Profile

13. Fee Shaw July 9, 2017 / 9:32 am

Love the dabbing, even if I don’t actually get what it is! It looks do wonderfully sunny too! #365
    Fee Shaw recently posted…Project 365 – Week 27My Profile

14. Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe July 9, 2017 / 10:08 am

What beautiful countryside, so great to have this a view from Z’s school! Well done Z, sounds like he’s doing fantastically at school, now for the summer holidays! #MySundayPhoto
    Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…HeatwaveMy Profile

15. Carol July 9, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Love the photos, blue skies and green grass. It doesn’t show how chaotic the school fair must have been.

16. Kara July 9, 2017 / 3:30 pm

We had to cancel our school fayre as there were not enough Volunteers – was really disappointing but there we go. Sounds like the boys had lots of fun and both our sports days were rained off

17. Emma T July 9, 2017 / 9:03 pm

Space is so important for them as they grow older. We have to get in the car for everything too.. Glad to hear Z enjoys his reading. I’m not sure N could say that, but he’s happy to please so that helps with his focus at school (although not at home!)
    Emma T recently posted…School Days – parents evening and resultsMy Profile

18. chickenruby July 9, 2017 / 9:15 pm

fab compromise and looks like you made the right choice with the school fair, will you look at that boy DAB and please tell him to stop growing, even though we’ve never met Z is still a baby, he is not allowed to look so grown up
    chickenruby recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Week 132 I is for (Northern) IrelandMy Profile

19. Lauren Scrapbook Blog July 10, 2017 / 1:04 pm

I always end up spending a fortune at fetes and fairs and things like this, it’s a nightmare as the kids want everything!

20. natalie July 10, 2017 / 9:39 pm

I am not a fan of summer fairs but my girls love them!! I grew up in a busy city and loved it – I now live in a village with a lot of green fields and parks, I never thought I would like it but I honestly do, I am not sure I could go back to city life!

21. Sara | mumturnedmom July 13, 2017 / 12:35 am

My eldest’s friends taught the wee girl to dab. So funny 🙂 Sounds like a busy time, but the end of term always is, isn’t it? Our was crazy!
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…Reflections: Week 26-27My Profile

22. Susan Mann July 14, 2017 / 10:17 pm

Sounds like you’ve been having a great time. I have helped a lot with school fairs and know they cost a lot of money to host, but understand it from the other side too. Way to go Z sounds like he is doing fab. My boys love the dabbing photo x