School holidays, work and all the juggling

You know when the summer holidays are about to start and you have that wonderful feeling of no more school runs for a while? Then it hits you. You still have to go to work, juggle the childcare somehow and pack some good family time for all of you on your days off. This week has been a bit crazy with a long trip down south for work things and then a long trip back up north for more work things and trying to entertain two little boys who like nothing more than jumping on each other constantly and ignoring everything I say. I’m sure I’ve told them to “BE CAREFUL!!” at least 25 times each day and they never are. They’re loving all the rough and tumble and covering any room they touch with a million toys. We don’t play “Lava” in this house, we play “Lego”. Your punishment for a wrong step is a very sore foot. I suspect this is going to be the theme for summer holidays this year. We’ve realised we need to book a holiday with just vast open space for the boys to roll about on. At the moment, staying at home is equally as tempting!

We did manage a trip to Eureka this week and it was a lot of fun. Its a tiny bit too old for the toddler to fully appreciate but there’s more than enough to keep even him entertained and if you don’t mine toddler tantrums every so often as you prise him from section to section, then it’s such a good way to keep them entertained indoors on rainy dull days. The boys favourite bit is always the motor vehicles section. I duly followed as all three of them jumped from car to truck to car, all clambering in at once and then fighting for the steering wheel. You’d think the biggest boy might be a bit more patient but I decided to perch myself on some tyres and let them argue it out.

Z has been a few times and still loves it so I think we’ve got a good few years of fun left in there. He’s now got to a stage where he can sprint from section to section and it’s really easy to lose sight of him in seconds. I have visions of our future visits involving Z running as fast as he can, the toddler chasing him and me chasing them both.

1. Sarah MumofThree World July 29, 2017 / 11:01 pm

Wow, look at his stride! He does look like he can run very fast. And how cute is E in the policeman outfit?
    What is it with ‘very big boys’? My husband is just the same with cars and footballs – his need to get near them is apparently far greater than the kids’ need!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Project 365 2017 Weeks 29 & 30My Profile

2. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) July 30, 2017 / 12:09 am

Oh yes I can relate to having to chase after the children. This looks like a fab place for keeping them amused though 🙂

3. Neesie July 30, 2017 / 12:11 am

It can be such a stressful time when the school holidays start…spinning all the plates to keep everyone happy.
    It looks like you are doing a grand job so far!
    Oh E is so cute in that policeman’s outfit… and I think you’ve a sprinter on your hands there 😀
    Have fun!
    Neesie recently posted…My Sunday Photo…Scottish CoastlineMy Profile

4. Tim July 30, 2017 / 12:20 am

It’s tricky trying to keep them entertained during the holidays, isn’t it? When we go away we always ensure we go to places where they can just run around and blow off steam.

5. Kate July 30, 2017 / 1:11 am

Looks like fun was had by all. Never visited despite always promising myself I would

6. Tara July 30, 2017 / 6:19 am

That looks like a fab place to visit. I love all your pics but your last photo especially. It sounds like you’ve had a very busy first week. I hope you also get to relax a bit on your holiday. Maybe you can sit and watch the boys race about? 🙂
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – July 30th, 2017.My Profile

• Notmyyearoff July 31, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Sitting down and just watching them run about would be perfect. Someone needs to start a place like that 🙂

7. John Adams July 30, 2017 / 6:33 am

Love the image of you all in the light projection. I’d love to visit Eureka with my two. Alas, a little far away unless I was passing through. #MySundayPhoto
    John Adams recently posted…Reflections in the Brighton i360My Profile

8. Erica Price July 30, 2017 / 9:46 am

I think we are just coming out of the Lego phase. It makes me quite sad, although it has taken over H’s room completely. He still plays with it, but not as much. I’m glad to see the back of the school run, but you are right you end up doing other things and trying to juggle.
    Erica Price recently posted…2017: Week 30My Profile

9. Emma Harris (@MeTheManAndKids) July 30, 2017 / 10:16 am

That really sums up the summer holiday essence! Feel your LEGO pain.. We’ve managed to go years without an incident but one week into the holidays and I’ve stepped on it twice! Hope the rest of the holidays go well for you lovely! 🙂 x

10. Susan Mann July 30, 2017 / 11:43 am

What a great place to visit with kids. Hope the work trip went well. What a wee sprinter. It’s so hard balancing work and kids. Feel for you hon xx

11. Angela July 30, 2017 / 8:21 pm

It must be hard juggling school holidays and work, especially with two energetic little boys, whom I may add are very handsome. I hate lego with a vengeance, love to play with but absolitely a nightmare when trodden on. My boys bedroom is full of it x

12. Emma Raphael July 30, 2017 / 8:21 pm

We play Lego in our house too! 😀 Good luck for the rest of the summer hols, such a juggling act! Love the sound of Eureka too, I know my boys would be fighting over the steering wheel! 😀 #sundayphoto
    Emma Raphael recently posted…Sunday Photo – Shopping Day – CorsicaMy Profile

13. Elaine Livingstone August 1, 2017 / 10:16 pm

great sprinting picture, not so sure about the psychedelic one.
    Yes school holidays are difficult when you have child care to juggle.
    Elaine Livingstone recently posted…Project 365 week 30My Profile

14. Tracey @ mummyshire August 9, 2017 / 1:36 pm

Oh yes, a carpet full of Lego. I think that’ll be a common find in most houses this summer, especially with the weather so wet!!
    It sounds lovely to have them all together and enjoying the summer, even if the oldest isn’t always as patient as you’d like!! But still lots of fun, Eureka is somewhere we haven’t got to yet.
    #sundayphoto

15. natalie August 10, 2017 / 8:46 pm

Oh it is such a juggling act isn’t it. I am still on maternity leave at the moment so it is nice to not have to worry about who will look after the children or rushing in the morning to get to work.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the holidays with your lovely boys