The photo that sums our summer up

I was looking through all our Devon photos this week and wishing we’d been able to stay another week, travel a few more beautiful places and discover a bit more Devonshire food. Alas, one has to come home eventually I guess and go back to work and earn a bit of a living. Until next time. Instead, its been a crazy week of work and uniform buying. I’m usually good and do it all in the first week of the holidays. This time though, I left it till pretty much the last minute and then had to panic buy all of it on one day. Ooh it feels so expensive doing it that way, but we have everything now thankfully bar a school bag that I completely forgot to get and my grand plan is to send Z into school on Monday with his old one for one day and and get the new one that morning. Oops!

And so it is, the summer holidays come to an end for us tomorrow as Z goes into Year 2 on Monday. Like always I’ve been wondering how our holidays have gone by in such a blur and have been trying to remember what it is we’ve actually done. It’s been an interesting challenge this time as its the first time I’ve had to work all summer since the toddler came into the world so we’ve had a juggle of random days off, lots of family help and then some proper time off with the kids. And PHEW we all survived, I think. Z goes into Year 2 next week and the toddler will turn the grand old age of TWO in a couple of weeks. I’m not sure how that year has flown by but it also means I’ve been back at work for a year now. It’s still as busy as ever and going to get busier into autumn and winter. Good busy, which is great, but it does mean I need to get better at juggling. Time will tell but the next few months are going to be a new challenge.

This is the one photo that sums our summer up. Me wearing that white jumper far too much as we’ve not had the best of the sunshine and its my favourite top, Z wearing his favourite red trainers and looking sorry for himself because he’s been told to eat some food, E just out of shot because he’s been tied into his stroller, the Other Half being trigger happy taking lots of photos (like this one), and us eating fish and chips and mushy peas. I’m pretty sure this is all we’ve done amongst a lot of family outings through different parts of the country this year. Obviously, you can NEVER have too much fish and chips and mushy peas and, if I had the time and money, I would tour the whole of the country trying out every single fish and chips place there ever was throughout the land. There should be a job to taste test fish and chips through every county. Maybe, one day, there will be!

1. Nikki Thomas September 2, 2017 / 10:49 pm

This summer has gone SO fast, I can’t believe that it is back to school on Monday, I am so not ready. I would fight you for the job of fish and chip tasting although I think I have tested a fair few different places already. How is E nearly 2?? How did that happen? Glad you had a good summer and I hope the back to school week goes smoothly.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…10 Back to School Hacks That Will Make Life EasierMy Profile

2. Neesie September 3, 2017 / 12:20 am

Oh I’m suddenly hungry once again! I was hoping that summer would last a little longer especially as it really hasn’t been the best this year up here. September has started better though so finger crossed we can enjoy a little more good weather before the Autumn really gets going.
    You’re boys are growing so fast. Good luck with the new term! ;D

3. Sarah Wood September 3, 2017 / 6:58 am

Lovely photo, sounds like a good summer, we ate those very fish&chips friday and they are definitely the best I’ve had, with a great view toi!
    Sarah Wood recently posted…Silent Sunday: week 36, 2017My Profile

4. John Adams September 3, 2017 / 7:18 am

It’s a time for reflection isn’t it? End of the holidays,….have you done everything you wanted with the kids??….kids growing up starting a new school years etc. At least you got the uniform in time! I left it to the last minute last year. Never again. Had to use Amazon prime and it’s range was awful!
    John Adams recently posted…Photographing butterflies (again)My Profile

5. Sarah MumofThree World September 3, 2017 / 7:20 am

Great photo. Z doesn’t look at all happy, bless him!
    Hope Year 2 goes well for him and you get even better at juggling!
    PS We’ve got the official best chip shop in the UK (I can’t remember the exact title of the awards) here, so you need to get yourself down to Gloucestershire for some fish and chips!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…My Sunday Photo 3.9.17My Profile

6. Erica Price September 3, 2017 / 8:17 am

Love the idea of touring the country and being a fish and chip tester. I always have to have fish and chips when we are by the sea – I can’t resist.
    Erica Price recently posted…2017: Week 35My Profile

7. Anne September 3, 2017 / 9:23 am

You really can’t beat fish and chips by the seaside. The summer does go quickly but sometimes when you stop to think about it you realise just how much you’ve packed into the summer, no matter what the weather has been like.

#mysundayphoto
    Anne recently posted…My Sunday Photo – 3rd September 2017My Profile

8. Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe September 3, 2017 / 10:31 am

Fish chips and musshy peas…yes please! So much more enjoyable by the seasiseaside too. Definitely one fits we miss living abroad! Hope school goes well
    Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…Castelo Novo, PortugalMy Profile

9. Emma T September 3, 2017 / 11:14 am

Lol, I’m not a fish and chips fan, but N loves them so we go at least once every holiday. Although the latest one didn’t server kids size fish so he had to have a sausage instead which he was a bit gutted about. Disappointing.
    Emma T recently posted…Day out at Dudley ZooMy Profile

10. Imperfect Mum September 3, 2017 / 2:20 pm

Great capture! I imagine countless families have sat like this over the summer. #mysundayphoto
    Imperfect Mum recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

11. Kim Carberry September 3, 2017 / 2:36 pm

The summer holidays have flown over. Good luck to Z starting year 2. We go back on Tuesday.
    Lovely photo. Fish and chips at the beach is just perfect. x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Into double figures. #MySundayPhotoMy Profile

12. Helen-marie Porter September 3, 2017 / 7:44 pm

what I would give to have fish and chips by the seaside again summer went to fast without much sun! #MysundayPhoto
    Helen-marie Porter recently posted…#My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

13. Susan Mann September 4, 2017 / 5:11 pm

That looks like a wonderful summer to be. Can’t beat some fish and chips. Hope he has the best school year xx

14. martyn September 9, 2017 / 5:44 pm

I am so jealous! This summer has really rushed by but what is worse is that not once have we had chips by the sea. I think i may have failed summer 😉 Great photo. See you tomorrow on #mysundayphoto

15. Elaine Livingstone September 9, 2017 / 6:10 pm

fish and chips on the beach is great if you can manage it without the seagulls attacking. But yeuch to the mushy peas, I personally cannot stand them.
    Sounds like a great life, a big touring van, home educate the children and tour the country from north to south tasting fish. then you would need to expand across to Europe etc.
    Elaine Livingstone recently posted…Project 365 week 35My Profile

16. Sarah Christie September 14, 2017 / 9:43 pm

Yes we have wore to many jumpers this year, thank goodness I got away loads as its not been great here, and yes you can never have to much fish and chips x