Winter and the Christmas Markets

It’s been snowing! It took me a bit by surprise last night even though it’s been the perfect temperature for it around our hilly parts. People are always surprised when I tell them how much snow we get from around December to March. It’s not loads but we tend to get a tiny bit more than others in the UK, and a year or so ago it felt like we were living in a snow globe as it kept falling down every other week. I still panic slightly getting my car on and off our drive and like a true Brit I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to it.

We managed to make a flying visit to the Manchester Christmas markets a few days ago and it was all very festive and bright. The big Manchester santa was out in all his glory and sparkle and lots and lots of food which I always love to try. It’s taken me this long to try Cannoli for the first time and it was very nice!

It means Christmas and some proper down time is on its way. Hooray!! It has been a really busy year and this will be our first break at home in a long time so I’m really looking forward to it. I just love this time of year, with ALL the Christmas movies and food and meeting up with friends and family and forgetting what day of the week it is. It’s not often you get time like that so I love making the most of it.

It’ll also be the time I have a massive think about everything. Life…work…is it time to move on to new challenges…etc. There’s something about the end of year that makes me reflect and wonder about the old and the new. I always have an image of what the new year will look like and it always surprises me.

1. Nikki Thomas November 25, 2017 / 9:07 pm

Oh that looks amazing! I really want to go to a German market but they are always so busy and my kids can’t cope with really busy places. I might try and get to the Bristol one though as they are so lovely (and a bit expensive!)

2. Tim November 26, 2017 / 1:22 am

No snow down south yet but I’m looking forward to visiting some of the Christmas markets! I was in Gothenburg round about this time last year – the Swedes do Christmas well! – but Manchester looks lovely too.

3. Debbie Roberts November 26, 2017 / 6:34 am

Hi Taz, I wish we had proper Christmas markets here, but New Year is the big holiday (although Christmas is fast catching up). I love this time of year too and it does make me reflect on my life and what direction I should take too.

xx
    Debbie Roberts recently posted…Shelf Fungi Growing On A TreeMy Profile

4. Sarah MumofThree World November 26, 2017 / 7:52 am

Wow, snow! We get a fraction of what you get, although one of my daughter’s friends reported that it snowed in a more rural part of Gloucestershire yesterday!
    The break over Christmas is definitely always good. It’s the one time of year when everyone is off, so you can actually take a break without having work interrupt it. Not too long to wait now!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 26.11.17My Profile

5. John Adams November 26, 2017 / 8:18 am

Well Manchester doesn’t muck about does it? That’s got to be the largest Santa ever??? And I’m just like you. The end of the year is a time for reflection and decisions. A lot of people question this but I think it’s a great way to approach life.

6. Anne November 26, 2017 / 10:43 am

You sound in a reflective mood, I do feel like that towards the end of the year, but no before Christmas, I try not to think back or forwards as I’m just too busy trying to get through it all with as little thinking as possible! Manchester looks a fun place to be at Christmas time. x
    #mysundayphoto
    Anne recently posted…My Sunday Photo – 26th November 2017My Profile

7. Erica Price November 26, 2017 / 11:48 am

It did occur to me that it was cold enough to snow a couple of days this week, but we had none. I think it’s always quite exciting to see the first flakes.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 47: 2017My Profile

8. karen reekie November 26, 2017 / 1:14 pm

It’s al getting very Christmassy! My favourite time of the year!

9. Tara November 26, 2017 / 8:19 pm

I love the colours you have captured, so bright and joyful. I’m also jealous of your snow! Did you buy anything, other than food, at the market? #MySundayPhoto
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – November 26th, 2017.My Profile

10. Emma T November 26, 2017 / 11:23 pm

Ooh I love a good Christmas market (I don’t love snow though – my best friend lives in Stretford and used to have a BMW – a totally impractical car for somewhere which has quite a bit of snow).
    Emma T recently posted…School days – teachers’ gifts and VIPMy Profile

11. Susan Mann November 27, 2017 / 7:02 pm

Oh my I do love all things christmassy and this looks and sounds amazing. The market looks wonderful and so many treats to be had xx

12. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) November 29, 2017 / 3:56 pm

Oh what lovely festive photos. I haven’t been to a Christmas market in ages – this looks like a good one. How lovely that you get snow too – we hardly ever get any and I’d love to have a little more. Can you send some of yours my way please 😉

13. Sarah Christie December 9, 2017 / 10:40 am

I have been a couple of times this year I just love the atmosphere, we definitely get more snow than most of the rest of the country but usually it start in January. I truly believe it goes in 6 year cycles and we have had 6 years of wetter weather and rain after Christmas I think we are in a for a couple of years of cold, frosty , snowy winters ! I am expecting to get snowed in a few times x