Amazing reunions and chocolate tarts

A bunch of little girls met many many years ago when they were about 4 years old. They lived in a vey industrial urban town, just streets apart and they played together, not realising they would be friends forever.

School and college came and went and each of those friends spread their wings to go achieve the things they wanted to. Life took some abroad and some to the country, some setting out for those destinations and some not realising they would set up home there.

Through the 30 plus years, loved ones have been lost on the way and lots and lots of little loved ones have arrived. We don’t see each other every day but, when we do, it’s as if the distance didn’t happen. And that’s just what happened last weekend. The friend who now lives in sunny Sydney paid a flying visit to the not so sunny north west and so we had to have a reunion. There was a lot of good food, a lot of good talk and a heck of a lot of noise from all the kids, some of who couldn’t believe they were playing till midnight (“Is it really midnight?!”). Of course this completely threw bed time routine for days to come but it was worth the amazing catch up. We all made plans for our big girlie holiday and and dreamt of visiting Australia. It’s always really sad to say goodbye but that lasts as long as the next Whatsapp group message that then turns us all to our virtual meetings about 2 hours later to discuss the latest most important thing (like how to binge watch Stranger Things strategically around the kids).

So we’re not really distant at all. But a face to face can’t be beaten. And neither can chocolate fruit tarts.

1. Emma Lander January 20, 2018 / 11:22 pm

Oh that is so lovely and so good that you’ve stayed in touch. I call that extended cousins for the kids 🙂 they did well staying up until midnight though I think I’d struggle with that

• Notmyyearoff January 28, 2018 / 9:53 am

I love the extended cousins thing. It does feel like having a whole bunch of nieces and nephews 🙂

2. chickenruby January 21, 2018 / 5:17 am

How lovely to have such a wonderful groups of friends who you can for long so without seeing then just pick up with as if it was only yesterday you still saw one another #mysundayphoto
    chickenruby recently posted…My Sunday Photo Week 160 Dubai FrameMy Profile

3. Debbie January 21, 2018 / 6:44 am

Hi Taz, how lovely for you all. The sign of true friendship is being able to go months or years without seeing each other, but when you do it’s like time never passed (apart from the few extra wrinkles). Four of your five a day on a chocolate tart! Heaven sent!

xx
    Debbie recently posted…First Attempt At Macro PhotographyMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff January 28, 2018 / 9:56 am

Haha I like your thinking with the chocolate tarts. I do see quite a lot of fruit in there so I think I agree with you!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Weddings and bad coldsMy Profile

4. John Adams January 21, 2018 / 7:38 am

Oh yes, some friendships stand the test of time….and migration. Must have been a fun reunion. And the tarts do indeed look marvellous.

5. Sarah MumofThree World January 21, 2018 / 8:41 am

How lovely that you’re still such good friends! It’s true that you can’t really beat meeting face to face, even though there are so many ways to stay in touch these days.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 21.1.18My Profile

• Notmyyearoff January 28, 2018 / 9:58 am

Yes it really does make all the difference doesn’t it? I think we need to have far more regular reunions!
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…Weddings and bad coldsMy Profile

6. Anne January 21, 2018 / 9:27 am

Those chocolate tarts look surprisingly healthy 🙂 What a lovely story, it’s fabulous to have such good friends that even distance and years apart cannot break your friendship. I’m glad you had such a lovely reunion. x
    #mysundayphoto
    Anne recently posted…My Sunday Photo – 20th January 2018My Profile

7. Darren Coleshil January 21, 2018 / 9:30 am

That’s amazing that you still keep in touch and meet up. Ooo and those tarts look so yummy.

8. Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe January 21, 2018 / 12:54 pm

Oh how lovely. I have a couple of friends like this too and outs so wonderful when we all finally meet up. BFF’s 4 eva
    Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…Monsanto CastleMy Profile

9. Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One January 21, 2018 / 3:41 pm

now that looks good and i’m so impressed, I thought my oldest friend and are were doing well being friends since we were 8, and still being in regular touch 42 years later. That’s a great bond to have #365

10. Erica Price January 21, 2018 / 6:59 pm

It must be lovely to meet up with your friend again even if for only a short time. Whatsapp is a great way of staying in touch though.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 3: 2018My Profile

11. Tracey Williams January 23, 2018 / 9:07 pm

Ahhh I love this post so much Tas. True friends are the ones you can go years without seeing but when you do it’s non stop chatter. And of course with social media you are never far from each other in the virtual world. So lovely that you have stayed friends all those years x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…A festive break to BathMy Profile

12. Galina V January 25, 2018 / 6:08 pm

It’s wonderful to have a reunion, not many friendships survive since childhood. The chocolate tarts look delicious.

13. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) January 25, 2018 / 7:50 pm

Oh how lovely to meet up with friends that you’ve known for so many years. It sounds like it was a wonderful reunion. Those fruit tarts look very yummy too 🙂

14. Emma T January 26, 2018 / 12:26 am

How nice to get together. Thankfully I still live near many of my friends, although my uni friends are spread around the UK and apart from my best friend, the other main 4 of us are just in contact on FB.
    Emma T recently posted…The 7th birthday interview – how things changeMy Profile

15. Jeanna January 28, 2018 / 11:44 pm

How wonderful to have life long friends like that and I love those pastries (I didn’t want to say I love those tarts, lol). Hats off to you for having the patience to cut a kiwi.

16. Mandi February 3, 2018 / 10:02 pm

How brilliant that your friendship has lasted so long, I keep up with a few girls from school via facebook, but none of the ones I was really close to. I love fruit tarts.
    Mandi recently posted…Project 365 Week 5My Profile