Discovering football and Bunny chow

Mother’s Day was a pretty unique day for me last week. It started off like it normally does with all the boys getting a bit too excited and almost throwing their presents at me. As usual, I just love the home made cards more than anything. The toddler doesn’t quite understand what’s going on but he loves anything involving presents and will jump at any chance to sing Happy Birthday, whether the ocassion calls for it or not.

We decided to go for a nice meal into Manchester and happened to pass the national football museum that was hosting a one day exhibition displaying famous football T-shirts of the past and present. As the other half is a footy fanatic it would have been pretty mean to deprive him of seeing it so we headed in to have a look. I know zilch about the world of footy Tshirts, or of kicking a ball around, and even I was impressed. There were Tshirts and shoes belonging to famous players, a couple of very important looking trophies and a lot of interesting history about football pitches, famous matches and iconic moments. The other half was completely in heaven and ran around with a smile plastered on his face. I eventually sat down on a comfy looking bench and perused where we could eat once the place shut and the other half was forcibly removed from the premises. (If you’re a footy fan, it really is a very interesting place!)

We ended up at a very nice indian street food place called Mowghli, and I think I might write a full post on it with multiple food photos and everything. I’ve had a lot of indian street food in the past but it was the first time I tried bunny chow. Bunny chow is a famous South African hot curry that’s served in a loaf of bread. Many years ago, Indians worked on the sugar plantations and would take bunny chow as a packed lunch. I think the classic bunny chow contains mutton curry. It’s evolved over the years and bunny chow variety has expanded quite a lot, ranging from meat to veggie to vegan. It’s a huge dish and I think I might make it at home. It must have tasted amazing out in the sugar cane fields as the curry would have seeped through the bread by lunch time. Worth a try if you like street food!

1. Tim March 18, 2018 / 1:06 am

I’ll have to keep an eye out for bunny chow – looks amazing!

2. Debbie March 18, 2018 / 6:03 am

Hi Tas, the men in my life would have been in seventh heaven in the football exhibition. Like you I am pretty clueless about the game… My husband used to go mad for bunny chow, it was one thing he just had to have when he went back to South Africa. It’s not something I’ve ever thought to try to replicate at home for him though (you’ve got me thinking now).

xx
    Debbie recently posted…MirroredMy Profile

3. Verily Victoria Vocalises March 18, 2018 / 7:42 am

Happy belated birthday – it sounds like a good one. That Bunny chow looks delicious – but probably a bit spicy for me! #MySundayPhoto
    Verily Victoria Vocalises recently posted…Creative SelfiesMy Profile

4. John Adams March 18, 2018 / 7:45 am

From football museum to bunny chow? Wow! Looking at thst plate of food I want to try it. Looks delicious and what an interesting history it has.

5. Darren Coleshill March 18, 2018 / 9:26 am

That bunny chow looks amazing, I’ve never heard of it before.

I’d been past the football museum but never actually been in

Thank you for linking up to #MySundayPhoto
    Darren Coleshill recently posted…#MySundayPhoto – Arrival of Spring?My Profile

6. Sarah MumofThree World March 18, 2018 / 9:54 am

I can just imagine your OH in his element in that football museum, because mine would have been exactly the same! It does look good, to be fair.
    I’ve never heard of bunny chow. The name stressed me out because I thought it was rabbit! Now I know it isn’t, I’d love to try it.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 18.3.18My Profile

7. Erica Hughes March 18, 2018 / 10:51 am

Never heard about bunny chow before, but looks tasty. I’d be bored rigid by the football stuff to be honest.
    Erica Hughes recently posted…Week 11: 2018My Profile

8. Tara March 18, 2018 / 12:09 pm

Your food photos always look so amazing. Glad you had a lovely mother’s day. I’d be a bit lost in the football exhibition, although Freya is desperate to play so I guess I will have to learn.
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – March 18th, 2018.My Profile

9. Tammy March 18, 2018 / 1:35 pm

It sounds like a lovely day! The Bunny Chow sounds amazing. It looks so good too.
    Tammy recently posted…Project 365 – Week 10My Profile

10. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) March 18, 2018 / 2:53 pm

The bunny chow looks delicious! Glad your hubby enjoyed the exhibition. Love those homemade paper flowers that you got on Mothers’ Day. Homemade cards are lovely aren’t they? 🙂

11. karen reekie March 18, 2018 / 7:12 pm

I don’t think there is anywhere near me that does decent Bunny Chow, despite the population of South Africans locally. I will have to find out. Haven’t had it for years!

12. Galina V March 18, 2018 / 9:02 pm

I’ve never tried bunny chow, or even heard of it. It looks delicious. The tshirts exhibition would make me doze off, but my brother who loves football, would probably be on cloud nine, if he had a chance to see it.
    Lovely Mother’s day cards, and lol @ singing Happy birthday at every occasion, that is so sweet.
    Galina V recently posted…The Great Oreo Cookie QuestMy Profile

13. Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe March 18, 2018 / 10:26 pm

Apart from the football exhibition it sounds like a lovely day I’m lucky that Paul isn’t too much of a football fanatic. The Bunny chow looks delicious!
    Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…Sunshine and ShowersMy Profile

14. Susan Mann March 19, 2018 / 4:52 pm

I can just imagine my boys and hubby would be in their element as is your hubby in that football museum. It does look good. I’ve never heard of bunny chow. I’d love to try it. xx

15. Mandi March 20, 2018 / 1:19 pm

Now that food sounds super tasty – glad you enjoyed your day and the football museum….
    Mandi recently posted…#OreoCookieQuest ChallengeMy Profile