Getting snowed in

We live quite high up in the Lancashire hills and it’s all a bit rural and quiet out here. Every few years we tend to get a bad case of snow when everyone else gets a sprinkling. We kind of expect it and accept we’re going to be snowed in. I always forget though, how the start of cabin fever can actually feel and how I last about 48 hours before I start getting twitchy. I really wasn’t expecting the “Beast from the east” to be this bad. After all, the weather is forever going on about “the coldest winter on record”, isn’t it?

So I was a bit shocked to wake up to our entire street covered in a deep blanket of snow. I spent the next 24 hours in denial. Of course it wasn’t going to snow non-stop and of course I’d be able to get to work. But it did snow non-stop and I didn’t get to work for two whole days. Lucky for me we can work from home for most things, so we ended up stuck indoors for a good couple of days, juggled the boys, and enjoyed the billions of snacks that the OH had bought during his preps for it. (We seem to have a lot of scones for some reason).

Z managed to have a lot of fun in it but the toddler was mostly kept indoors on account of growing out of his snow suit. There’s another one on order but he was mostly happy just tottering about in it and then running back into the house. I’ve seen that it’s warming up very soon and it’s felt so much milder today at -1. Next week is going to probably be short sleeve weather at a grand 4 degrees. I have to say, I was very glad to finally see some visible tarmac again on our street!

1. Anne March 3, 2018 / 11:37 pm

Your photos are amazing, the snow looks so much more pretty in rural areas. The last one looks particularly beautiful with the setting sun. Here we just have cars covered in snow and difficulty in seeing the road from the pavement. My kids have shown no interest in going out in the snow to play. I think they are fed up of winter now and so am I. I used to love snow, but there is no way I can go in it. Fortunately, being stuck at home is something I’m very used to.

2. Fee March 4, 2018 / 12:29 am

Oo it looks lovely with all that snow and so funny you had scones as your survival food! #365
    Fee recently posted…Project 365 – Week NineMy Profile

3. Fiona Cambouropoulos March 4, 2018 / 1:05 am

Wow we had storm Emma and were thrilled to see a little snow but it was nothing like this

4. John Adams March 4, 2018 / 8:01 am

Juggling kids and working from home – never easy that! I’m slightly jealous actually, you had proper snow. We had about 5cm but school was closed for four days. Love the sunset pic by the way, that is magical. #mysundayphoto

5. Emma T March 4, 2018 / 8:40 am

I’m the same I can work from home and work encourage it. We’ve had the joy of running out of oil and the delivery not being able to come. I’m not sure if it was due to snow (the drifts have been awful on the roads until tractors cleared them) or because they’re swamped. One of the guys did go and get some but it’s not enough to push through the pipe. Thankfully we have a woodburner.

I’m glad the thaw is coming. We didn’t have it really badly but the drifts were what made the school close on Friday

6. Verily Victoria Vocalises March 4, 2018 / 9:01 am

That last photo is beautiful. We moved to Somerset nearly 5 years ago – and the fact that we had a red weather warning and lots of snow certainly made up for the fact that we had never had any here! Grace was extremely excited by the whole thing. #MySundayPhoto
    Verily Victoria Vocalises recently posted…Forde Abbey, near Chard in SomersetMy Profile

7. Darren Coleshill March 4, 2018 / 9:40 am

Stunning snow photos, my girls were very excited by all the snow.

Ours all got washed away with the rain yesterday.

Thank you for linking up to #MySundayPhoto

8. Sarah MumofThree World March 4, 2018 / 11:44 am

What lovely photos! I can’t imagine being snowed in, but can imagine that I would go stir crazy! It’s mad when it feels ‘warm’ at minus 1. We had a lovely 4 degrees this morning and it did feel mild.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 4.3.18My Profile

9. Jane - Our Little Escapades March 4, 2018 / 11:45 am

It has been an interesting week because of this Beast from the East. Today we have seen some of the snow thaw and I’m so happy that school SHOULD be open tomorrow #MySundayPhoto

10. Erica Price March 4, 2018 / 4:44 pm

I enjoyed it to begin with, but I’d certainly had enough by the end. I don’t think I stocked up on enough cake, envious of your scones.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 9: 2018My Profile

11. Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe March 4, 2018 / 6:24 pm

What a gorgeous sunset photo. You had tonnes of snow! Shame you still had to work though, the best thing about being a teacher was having snow days off to have fun playing in the snow with the kids. Although going back into work with a massive backlog isn’t fun either! Glad you managed to get outside and juggle things!
    Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…Serra da Malcata Nature Reserve, Reserva Natural da Serra da MalcataMy Profile

12. Lins @ Boo & Maddie March 4, 2018 / 7:45 pm

I have to say I was also entirely cynical about how much snow there would be, especially in London. We only ever get a 30 second flurry so to have snow cover for 3 whole days was pretty much unheard of before. Like you though, I’m glad it’s on the way out now, so ready for spring X #Mysundayphoto
    Lins @ Boo & Maddie recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Doggy Snow DayMy Profile

13. Emma Raphael March 4, 2018 / 9:18 pm

Cambridge really didn’t get very much, but my Mum got completely snowed in in her Hampshire village. It looks gorgeous where you live! Love you have a scone overload too 😀
    Emma Raphael recently posted…Sunday Photo – Snow DayMy Profile

14. Confessions of a New Mummy March 4, 2018 / 9:50 pm

We had a lot of snow here in Norfolk but I can’t imagine being snowed in! We stayed in for a day and that was enough!

15. Helpful Mum March 4, 2018 / 10:17 pm

Such beautiful pictures. We were snowed in too in our village and I am pretty much ready to see the back of the snow now.

16. Natalie March 4, 2018 / 10:32 pm

Beautiful pictures, we had snow but not as bad as yours – although I didnt take one picture so I am clearly in denial #mysundayphoto
    Natalie recently posted…World Book Day 2018My Profile

17. Nikki Thomas March 5, 2018 / 8:25 pm

Such pretty photos, it is so beautiful if you don’t have to go anywhere. I was really shocked that we had another bout of snow here, it is so rare for us as we are in a vale and I think A was about 18 months when we last had proper snow. Surely that has to be it now? I think we deserve some sunshine now

18. Susan Mann March 6, 2018 / 3:18 pm

What a gorgeous sunset photo, love it. Shame you still had to work though, it’s a nightmare trying to juggle isn’t it? Sending you big hugs xx

19. Elaine Livingstone March 6, 2018 / 10:18 pm

the colours on the sunset picture are lovely. Yes knowing you are going to get snowed in at some point over the winter I aaume you stock your cupboards accordingly.

20. Sarah Christie March 8, 2018 / 10:45 pm

Such gorgeous pictures Tas, it was so cold but so very beautiful, our kids will remember last week forever and as much as it was a pain I am so glad they will have that memory x