Road tripping to Inverary Castle

We’re in Scotland!! We’ve been here a couple of days and we’re here for another two just exploring Argyll and, hopefully, Loch Ness tomorrow. We spent a couple of days in Edinburgh mostly pottering about and spending hours in the National museum of Scotland. I think this country may be my happy place as I always want to come back as soon as I leave, wanting to explore yet another gorgeous looking bit. I used to want to drive around it all over weeks and weeks but I’ve realised it’s much better to take it all in in small bits, you appreciate it so much more.

The huge hills are still snow capped and I think the forecast is promising a tiny bit more over the next week in the highlands. It makes it all the more stunning and pretty to drive through, although I hope it doesn’t hit or settle on the roads for obvious reasons.

We’ve spent the day today at Inverary Castle. It’s a stunning country house and boasts a massive estate around it all. Its completely stunning to see and I had no idea the Duke and Duchess of Argyll lives it in with their 3 young children. We happened to accidentally stumble into the private grounds and one of the very friendly little boys directed us the right way. It’s so rare to see a castle which is still very much a home and sometimes even more rare to see one filled with very young children.

The castle itself was built in the 1700s and restored in the 70s after a huge fire. Filming wasn’t allowed in the castle and I happened to forget my “big camera” at home so I’ve taken a bunch of iPhone pics of the inside.

Z is going through a stage of being completely uninterested in large historic buildings and was more taken with trying to find the biggest rock on the walkway up to the castle, informing me of the rock collection both he and his friends keep at school. I discovered later that he’s brought along the largest rock from his collection with us on holiday in his pocket and then asked if he could replace it with a bigger one he found on the Inverary estate. When did rocks become so interesting?

Hopefully onto Inverness tomorrow!

1. Fiona Cambouropoulos April 1, 2018 / 12:10 am

My homeland and I’ve not been for years. You make me want to visit again. Have a wonderful time there. Happy Easter
    Fiona Cambouropoulos recently posted…Happy Easter weekendMy Profile

2. Tim April 1, 2018 / 12:16 am

Ha! The boys are obsessed with rocks at the moment. We were at the Natural History Museum in Oxford on Friday and both of them bought colourful lumps of calcite to bring home with them. Hope you’re having a great time.

3. Debbie April 1, 2018 / 6:18 am

Hi Tas, I have never been to Scotland, but imagine it to be very picturesque in places. How exciting must growing up in a castle be? I bet it doesn’t look half as cluttered as a common and garden home. I wouldn’t fancy trying to keep on top of the housework though… BTW – rocks make great pets! Me and my sister kept a few as youngsters and never had any trouble with them.

Have a safe journey home.

xx
    Debbie recently posted…Common Blue Butterfly Tickles Me PinkMy Profile

4. Sarah MumofThree World April 1, 2018 / 7:19 am

I bet the rock is really heavy in his pocket! The castle is really stunning. How sweet of the little boy to direct you to the right place! Enjoy the rest of your trip.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 1.4.18My Profile

5. Natalie April 1, 2018 / 8:21 am

My husband took me to Edinburgh for my 30th and I loved it. Scotland is his most favourite place and we plan to book some adventures there next year. Have a lovely holiday #mysundayphoto
    Natalie recently posted…My little Easter Bunny at Penrhyn CastleMy Profile

6. Erica Hughes April 1, 2018 / 9:36 am

The castle is stunning and I had to laugh at the rock. I love both the idea of dipping into Scotland and driving around for weeks.
    Erica Hughes recently posted…Week 13: 2018My Profile

7. Carol April 1, 2018 / 2:56 pm

I’d love to visit Scotland and this beautiful home. Get ready for more rocks!

8. Nikki @ Notes of Life April 2, 2018 / 4:59 pm

It sounds like you’re having a wonderful trip! I’m hoping to visit Scotland again by train sometime this year 🙂

9. Sarah Christie April 3, 2018 / 9:47 pm

Ha ha love it I remember the boys hitting this stage! The castle looks incredible can you believe someone lives there. Enjoy the rest of your trip x

10. Sara | mumturnedmom April 5, 2018 / 6:44 pm

I’ve loved seeing all you photos over on Instagram, and watching your stories. Gorgeous, but does make me a bit homesick. Although, it makes me very happy that you love Scotland so much 🙂 Glad you had another great trip xx
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…Snapshots of 2018: MarchMy Profile

11. Elaine Livingstone April 8, 2018 / 9:26 pm

It is a long way to drive to “dip in and out” . We have wandered round the grounds on our way north but not been in the castle. Don’t tend to stop there as it was quite pricey to park for a walk once you have seen it once or twice.
    Elaine Livingstone recently posted…Project 365 week 14My Profile