When food makes things better

It’s been a loooong loong week. I’m pretty sure I say that most weeks but this has had multiple funerals in it, which was a bit draining. It’s funny how sometimes they come along like busses, obviously the are the worst kind of bus one would want arriving. Still, I guess these things have to be endured and it’s nice to at least pay ones final respects and try to offer some kind of condolence to family and friends.

With so much going on, we did what we do best and take the nieces and nephews out for dinner and it was much needed. I think I am one of “those” people; the one that feeds people in times of sadness and crises and the one who offers to put the kettle on because a nice cup of tea is always very soothing isn’t it? Of course it doesn’t fix anything, but it does offer a tiny bit of solace at stressful times. Routine went out of the window for a good few days but it didn’t really matter too much. I think we needed it (and ice cream always tastes better when you shouldn’t be having it!).

And it wasn’t all bad. It’s so lovely to see so many new babies in the world of both friends and family. There are so many due around this time. I’ve counted 4 new gorgeous arrivals so far and have two more to go, imminently. I need to make it round to them for baby cuddles.

1. Anne April 28, 2018 / 11:01 pm

I’m so sorry you have had to endure such sad times, my condolences.
    Food does help and that ice cream looks totally amazing, I wouldn’t be able to choose just one flavour.
    It’s lovely to hear that you are surrounded by new babies too, I long for some new babies in my life, I don’t seem to know anyone personally who is pregnant or has a new baby. If I’m honest, i long to be a grandma, but I think I have a long wait as my eldest have decided against having children.
    I hope next week is better and brighter for you x

2. Tim April 29, 2018 / 12:05 am

A difficult week – and ice cream always seems to be the perfect solution to soothe all one’s troubles, doesn’t it? I’ve never actually tried it but I’m always fascinated by the look of that blue bubblegum ice cream – in Italy the call it ‘puffo’, which is basically ‘Smurf’. 🙂

3. Neesie April 29, 2018 / 12:09 am

What a difficult week for you… along with a nice cup of tea I too would turn to chocolate and ice-cream. I’ve not tried Bubblegum flavour though. I’ll have to add this to my list. Let’s hope that you can relax and enjoy the next few weeks.

4. Debbie April 29, 2018 / 5:01 am

Hi Tas, I’m sorry to read that you’ve been having a bit of a tough week, funerals aren’t much fun. You sound like my Mum, she likes to feed people and doesn’t need much of an excuse either. I’m really not sure about that rather nasty looking blue ice cream, please tell me it’s only for show?… I hope this week is much better for you.

xx
    Debbie recently posted…Colour Popping Flowers & A Photo Bombing DogMy Profile

5. Sarah MumofThree World April 29, 2018 / 6:09 am

What a tough week. Even one funeral is draining, so going to more than one in a week must have been hard. It’s lovely to know there are new babies around too though. I hope things settle down for you, your family and friends for a while now.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 29.4.18My Profile

6. chickenruby April 29, 2018 / 8:31 am

sorry to hear about the funerals, i know completely what you mean about the bus analogy, it’s difficult time. Lovely to hear about so many new babies and the food is certainly good for the soul in hard times
    chickenruby recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Week 174 The Almas TowerMy Profile

7. Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe April 29, 2018 / 9:22 am

So sorry to hear you have lost loved ones. The new arrivals must make things much easier to deal with. It really is the circle of life. Oh and a sneaky ice cream is defintely a lovely treat. Hope tho ha are looking up for you this week x
    Andrea @ Topsy Turvy Tribe recently posted…Rock Climbing, Aldeia de João Pires, PortugalMy Profile

8. Verily Victoria Vocalises April 29, 2018 / 9:53 am

That sounds like such a hard week – I am so sorry. That ice cream looks so inviting – and very colourful.

9. Emma Raphael April 29, 2018 / 9:59 am

I am sorry you have had such a sad week. I know what you mean about food though, I love to cook for people to help make them feel better, or to make them have a nice time! 🙂 x #sundayphoto

10. Fiona Cambouropoulos April 29, 2018 / 2:49 pm

Sorry for your losses this week, those ice creams will certainly lift spirits a little

11. Emma T April 29, 2018 / 9:20 pm

Sorry to hear about all the funerals. We have one – one of my brother’s godfather’s – this week, but can’t make it because of work and timings. All my friends have pretty much had babies now – scarily, some of them have children who in a couple of years could be having kids!
    Emma T recently posted…School days – yoga and SATs prepMy Profile

12. Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One April 30, 2018 / 7:13 pm

It sounds like you’ve had a challenging week. We all need to stop and have a cuppa from time to time, and ice cream always helps too I find #365

13. Sarah Christie April 30, 2018 / 10:24 pm

Ah it sounds like a week of two halves happy and sad, I am sorry you have had a few losses but you are so right feeding people helps I am a feeder too, it must be a way to relieve stress x

14. Jeanna May 1, 2018 / 2:38 am

Food does help, it gives us something to give and receive. I’m sorry for your losses and sadness. Tremendous gelato photos, I hope someone tried the Honeycomb Crunch Swirl.

15. Erica Hughes May 2, 2018 / 11:15 am

Ice cream does seem like the solution to a difficult week. Hope next week is full of new baby cuddles rather than funerals.
    Erica Hughes recently posted…Week 17: 2018My Profile

16. Susan Mann May 3, 2018 / 4:25 pm

What a difficult week for you, sending lots of love and hug. I love Ice-cream and it does make everything better. Hope you can enjoy your next few weeks and see you at the weekend xx