Spean Bridge and Urquhart castle

It’s been a long and very lovely week of lots of driving through the Scottish lowlands and highlands. I don’t think you can ever get bored with driving about discovering all of its stunning scenery and landscape.

We were so lucky to have managed to visit a fair few places and I’ll hopefully write about them all over time. We weren’t that strict with our itinerary and so ended up discovering places we hadn’t intended to go.

I really really wanted to see Dunottar castle but I then realised it would be over a fair journey from Argyll all the way to near Aberdeen so we found another beautiful castle to visit; Urquhart Castle (pronounced “Ooh-Kurt”, I *think*).

It’s a straight drive from Oban up the A82 and it’s a very scenic drive if you ever go. We ended up stopping so many times to admire yet another snow capped highland mountain or a random beautiful house just stood amongst it all, peacefully. We took so many pictures of it all and I think I have about 200 of just random hills and mountains.

We passed a place called Spean Bridge near Fort William and decided to have a little pit stop, mainly as we saw lots of other people doing it. The views are amazing and I think the snow makes it look even more amazing. There is a memorial spot dedicated to the British commando forces.

We made it to Urquhart Castle after 3 hours and it was well worth it. The ruins date all the way back to the 13th century and it sits overlooking the very vast Loch Ness. It’s quite a significant castle as it played a big part in the wars for Scottish independence in the 14th century. It was partially destroyed in the 1600s to prevent the Jacobites from using it and then taken under state care in the 20th century. It’s now one of the most visited castles in Scotland and you can see why. Imagine waking up to views of the Loch Ness every day, with the sun beaming in through your windows.

1. Angela April 7, 2018 / 7:50 pm

Looks like you had an amazing time. I love Scotland, it’s so picturesque. We went to Fort William, up Ben Nevis. So need to go back x

2. Fee - One of Each April 7, 2018 / 8:10 pm

Oh yeay you were in my neck of the woods. The photos are gorgeous and how lucky you got good weather too. Everywhere else got snow and rain again I think. #365

3. Tracey Abrahams April 8, 2018 / 12:04 am

I’m a massive fan of castles, big and small whatever condition they are in. We have some amazing ones in Wales but I would love to see the ones they have in Scotland too.
    #mysundayphoto
    Tracey Abrahams recently posted…Walking Home From The PubMy Profile

4. Debbie April 8, 2018 / 5:39 am

Hi Tas, what stunning scenery, I’d have been the same with my camera too. Going with the flow sounds better than stressing when you have an itinerary to stick to (fewer grey hairs) and at least you have an excuse to return.

xx
    Debbie recently posted…Buddy LoveMy Profile

5. John Adams April 8, 2018 / 6:56 am

You do get around Scotland don’t you? Got some amazing landscapes there, the type of images of Scotland I’m yet to have a chance to take! I need some snow capped hills and mountains in my photography collection.

6. Tara April 8, 2018 / 6:59 am

Amazing photos. They make me want to jump in the car and drive up now. Scotland is definitely near the top of my bucket list. Glad you’re having a fab time. #MySundayPhoto
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – April 8th, 2018.My Profile

7. Darren Coleshill April 8, 2018 / 8:50 am

These photos are really making me want to visit Scotland, it always feels so far away from me.

Hope you’re having a wonderful time

Thank you for linking up to #MySundayPhoto
    Darren Coleshill recently posted…#MySundayPhoto – Blue SkiesMy Profile

8. Anne April 8, 2018 / 9:50 am

I’ve never been to Scotland but it does look amazing. I love your photos, simply stunning. x
    #mysundayphoto

9. Carol April 8, 2018 / 10:41 am

Beautiful photos – the 2nd shot of the sky with the sun on the edge is fantastic. Looks like a wonderful place to visit.
    Carol recently posted…Spring AzaleasMy Profile

10. Galina V April 8, 2018 / 7:54 pm

Spectacular scenery. So much to see and explore. Scotland is one my wish list of places to visit, hopefully one day it will happen. I don’t know much about the Urquhart castle but it looks like an amazing location, steeped in history.
    Galina V recently posted…Lime coconut cakeMy Profile

11. Tracey Williams April 9, 2018 / 8:27 am

The scenery is just breathtaking Tas, and everytime you head off on your Scottish road trips I always think that we should venture further North too. That castle is stunning too, and I guess your boys are brilliant at travelling in the car for hours. I must admit my 2 were always good at travelling from a young age x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…A Date Night at TGI FridaysMy Profile

12. Tadej April 10, 2018 / 8:19 am

I love old castels and buildings, this castle is small but still beautiful, has its own story.

13. chickenruby April 10, 2018 / 10:17 am

lovely photo of you, you look relaxed and happy

14. Neesie April 10, 2018 / 11:24 am

Great photos which all look familiar to me, although I haven’t visited Urquhart Castle yet…but its on my list!
    Have a great week 😀

15. Erica Hughes April 15, 2018 / 10:40 am

Such stunning pictures Tas. Very keen to get back to Scotland soon and I’d like to head further north.
    Erica Hughes recently posted…Week 14: 2018My Profile