Dunrobin castle in the Scottish highlands

We’ve been back from Scotland a good few days now and I still haven’t written anything up on the blog properly. I really really will do it as the journey around more of the highlands was so much fun. We managed to cover a fair chunk around Inverness and I was so surprised at how scenic it all was. I’ve always known it’s a stunning place, but it really is something worth seeing and travelling for. We managed to do Aviemore, bits of the Cairngorms, Kingussie, Inverness, Cromarty Firth and Golspie. I realised later that the North 500 route covers bits of that and I can see why so many go back repeatedly. I am now one of those people and my family always jokingly ask if I intend on coming back whenever we go.

On the day we popped into Chanonry Point to see dolphins, I did a quick google for castles in the area and we found there was a very pretty looking one at Golspie which was about an hour north of Inverness. It’s one of the most northerly grand houses and is designed like a French chateau. If you like castles and national trust properties, then this is really worth a visit. It is so beautiful and is still inhabited to this day. The castle boasts hundreds of antique and valuable artefacts throughout, and you can wander about admiring it all.

As is typical of castles, it is steeped in history and is so interesting for those that like to indulge in Scottish history. One word of warning though, it is not buggy or toddler friendly. We had to check our stroller into the cloak room as there at no lifts and limited space in some areas (such as the spiral staircases). It means we had a very excitable toddler to control and it was all going really well till we let go of him for about 2 seconds. He promptly legged it under the rope guards through to no entry zones. He then proceeded to have a massive tantrum on the expensive antique floors when we wouldn’t let him limbo under any more rope. I don’t think I’ve ever felt my heart race so quickly and we finished the castle tour at lightning speed and visited the equally gorgeous, but safe, gardens.

The little angel toddler reverted back to his happy self and we all calmed down a bit. Still, it was worth seeing the most northerly Scottish castle in the highlands.

1. Merlinda Little September 2, 2018 / 12:10 am

What a lovely place!

Toddlers really know where and when to throw an epic tantrum. I remember having a phobia of going out when my son was a toddler because of tantrums!

#mysundayphoto
    Merlinda Little recently posted…Sunrise/SunsetMy Profile

2. Alan Herbert September 2, 2018 / 12:18 am

That looks more like a French Chateau than a Scottish castle!
    It looks like a great day out for the family. Minus toddler tantrums. Although teenage strops in public are just as bad.

#mysundayphoto
    Alan Herbert recently posted…The Blind Bag PhenomenonMy Profile

3. Fiona Cambouropoulos September 2, 2018 / 12:31 am

Beautiful castle and grounds, you do always find some lovely places up in Scotland.

4. Sarah MumofThree World September 2, 2018 / 6:05 am

The building looks stunning and the gardens are immaculate! I had to laugh at him going under the ropes, but I know I would have panicked if I was in that situation!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 2.9.18My Profile

5. Darren Coleshill September 2, 2018 / 8:24 am

Wow what an amazing looking castle. The grounds look stunning.

Have a good Sunday and thank you for linking up to #MySundayPhoto
    Darren Coleshill recently posted…#MySundayPhoto – The CalmMy Profile

6. John Adams September 2, 2018 / 8:26 am

Oh I do love the concept of a buggy friendly castle! great images but I have to ask, how did you get so much blue sky in Scotland? Doesn’t happen when I visit! Great shots of a part of Scotland I have never visited. #mysundayphoto

7. Erica Hughes September 2, 2018 / 8:28 am

What a beautiful castle! Sounds like a slightly stressful visit though.
    Erica Hughes recently posted…Week 35: 2018My Profile

8. Paula @MummyVsWork September 2, 2018 / 9:06 am

What a beautiful place to visit! Looks like you had fun even if it was a bit stressful!

9. Victoria Welton September 2, 2018 / 9:31 am

I am fully expecting Rex to through a tantrum in a very similar place at some point!! What a beautiful place to visit – I love that maze. #MySundayPhoto

10. karen reekie September 2, 2018 / 10:47 am

We have been there, it’s a lovely place! Thanks for sharing #mysundayphoto

11. Tara September 2, 2018 / 12:08 pm

I wish I could have come with you. It all looks amazing! I have the same worries with Freya, even now. I flinch when she reaches for things in stately homes. Glad it was all ok in the end. #MySundayPhoto
    Tara recently posted…My Sunday Photo – September 2nd, 2018.My Profile

12. Spectrum Mum September 2, 2018 / 1:50 pm

Oh Goodness this really is like a castle out of a fairytale. Beautiful captures. #mysundayphoto

13. Emma T September 2, 2018 / 3:30 pm

That looks amazing. Loving those gardens. Sounds like it was a good trip. Do you stay in one place and travel out, or book as you go/in advance along your route?

14. Elaine Livingstone September 2, 2018 / 5:25 pm

I know the NC500 has been on a few tv programs lately as the amount of tourists are ruining the road and the scenery. You do more exploring of Scotland than I do. Beautiful castle and it looks massive
    Elaine Livingstone recently posted…Project 365 week 35My Profile

15. Kim Carberry September 2, 2018 / 7:22 pm

It sounds like you had a fantastic trip and fitted so much in.
    hehehe! We visited a castle this week too and saw some toddlers running riot in the state rooms. I was so glad my girls were older. lol
    Gorgeous photos x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…The end of a fantastic day. #MySundayPhotoMy Profile

16. Emma Raphael September 2, 2018 / 9:13 pm

That is a gorgeous castle. Totally sympathise on the tantrum front. Our youngests are both the same age after all! 😀 #sundayphoto

17. Susan Mann September 3, 2018 / 4:04 pm

I’ve not been here for years. It is such a stunning castle and loves the gardens. Looks like the boys enjoyed it and so funny about E setting off the alarm. x