A day in Alton Towers

We’ve spent the week juggling work and half term holidays. It’s flown by, as per usual, and we decided to nip to Alton Towers on one of the sunnier days.

I used to go every single year from school back when Nemesis and Oblivion were the brand new white knuckle rides, and when running about to different rollercoasters didn’t make me feel ill. I then hit 27 and remember Air making me feel really queasy. A few years on and I was happy just spending a lot of time in CBeebies land and wandering about the tamer rides. Alton Towers is a completely different place to be when you have little ones. We realised very quickly we weren’t going to be able to run about all the rides and realised there isn’t actually that much for kids if they’re a bit too old for CBeebies land and a bit too young for the big rollercoasters. We got lucky with the weather though so it was a good day for the boys to run about ( but wow was it cold!). It’s definitely getting to gloves and scarves weather and I’m ready to just walk about in big fat layers for a few months now.

The kids had a brilliant time and their big scarefest event kept them giggling right through to late evening. They had everything from scary clowns to the reaper walking about and the castle was haunted for the night with creepy ballroom dancing skeletons. If you’re into Halloween in a big way then Alton Towers might be perfect for you

1. Alan herbert October 28, 2018 / 12:23 am

There is that awkward height that seems to be too small for the big rides yet age wise they are too old for the small ones.

Seems they had a great day running around though.

#mysundayphoto
    Alan herbert recently posted…Gender Disappointment It Happens to Men Too.My Profile

2. chickenruby October 28, 2018 / 5:24 am

I used to love visiting Alton Towers but you’re right there’s not much for the kids to do at the in between ages/height.

3. Victoria Welton October 28, 2018 / 7:22 am

I haven’t been to Alton Towers for years! I would love to take Grace there. Looks like you all had a great time x

4. Nige October 28, 2018 / 7:23 am

Beautiful family photo #mysundayphoto

5. Sarah MumofThree World October 28, 2018 / 8:13 am

That top photo is very spooky! It sounds like you all had a good day. My husband said he felt queasy after his first two rides, but took a break and was OK after that. The long queues helped him to recover!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 28.10.18My Profile

6. Debbie October 28, 2018 / 8:37 am

Hi Tas, I remember a time I loved the thrill of a white-knuckle ride. Now just the thought makes my toes curl in terror! It looks like the boys had a spooky time at Alton towers and that top photo would be enough to keep me awake at night.

#MySundayPhoto

xx
    Debbie recently posted…Fairy Dining RoomMy Profile

7. Mary @ Over40andamumtoone October 28, 2018 / 8:45 am

I haven’t been on the big rides there for years. Loved Nemesis We took my son to Cbeebiesland when he was younger #mysundayphoto

8. John Adams October 28, 2018 / 8:48 am

Wow, you clearly know Alton Towers well and your pics make it look like a great location. Went once with college friends but it scared hte life out of me! I don’t mix well with rollercoasters. Half-term flying by in a blur? Yes, same here!

9. Carol October 28, 2018 / 10:38 am

Looks like a fun day for everyone! #mysundayphoto

10. Emma T October 28, 2018 / 3:20 pm

I find the same with N, too old but too young for other rides. I used to also go with school and loved the scary rides, but now they don’t appeal so much. Must be a motherhood thing

11. Erica Hughes October 28, 2018 / 4:12 pm

We have a similar problem with Alton Towers too. If the baby rides are too small, there isn’t that much that isn’t rollercoasters and H won’t do them (and I’m not keen).
    Erica Hughes recently posted…Week 43: 2018My Profile

12. Mummy here and there October 28, 2018 / 8:15 pm

Haven’t been, to Alton Towers in years, looks awesome and a great place to take kids X #mysundayphoto

13. Emma Raphael October 28, 2018 / 9:56 pm

Do you know I have never been! Looks like fun for Halloween though! We went to Blackpool for a day last week, had the same problem at the Pleasure Beach for the Toddler. 😀

14. Tracey Williams October 29, 2018 / 3:17 pm

Even though I go on hardly any rides when we go to Alton Towers, I love visiting at this time of year. Looks like you picked a beautiful day to visit, though I can imagine it was cold. We went last year for Scarefest, and Katie was over the moon as she had hit the all important 1.4 metres and she could ride the scary rides in the dark. Thankfully her dad is a big kid still lol x

15. ClearlyBex October 30, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Looks like you had a great time, Alton Towers is one place I’ve never been despite only living within an hour away!

16. Elaine Livingstone October 31, 2018 / 11:38 pm

you will find me on the bumper cars but that kis my limit, I go along to hold the jackets. It is a shame when they feel they are too old for baby rides and to small for bigger rides.
    Looks like a fun evening.
    Elaine Livingstone recently posted…Project 365 week 43My Profile

17. Fozia S November 2, 2018 / 1:12 pm

We went to Alton Towers a few years back..eldest was too old for Cbeebies land but then couldn’t go on some of the bigger roller coasters due to her height..even though she wanted to! She even goes on rides alone as I get headaches now when we go on them. Need to take her back to Alton Towers soon as she would be able to go on the rides now.
    Fozia S recently posted…Day Out at Wimpole Hall and Home FarmMy Profile

18. Susan Mann November 8, 2018 / 3:25 pm

I’ve not been for years. It looks great though. Glad you had a good time xx